OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I know you have all probadly seen this before but I had to share! Check out this MONSTER one of my girls laid this morning...it won't even fit in a carton!
1f62e.png

I've gotten a couple of those. I joke my girls have ostrich ancestors! And they are often double yolks.

Has anyone had ALL their chickens do the egg song for one new layer? I'm not sure what is going on but I think all 14 of my chickens have lost their minds. They have been doing the egg song sorta alarm call for over a hour. I go out to check and there is nothing out there. Of course they all get quiet too. The little blond girl that I've been waiting on an egg from is in and out of the coop and nest boxes. So that's the only thing I can think of...they are celebrating? They've even gotten the dog barking! I've heard several of them do this together when they tipped over their food. Or two go back and forth when they both want the same nest box. But ALL of them!?! The roo keeps following blondie into the coop and clucking and purring. I'm at a loss.

Thought anyone.....

Possible snake in the coop/run? Or overhead predator? Or hormonal clucking?

I've looked over and over. I did go sit in the coop and watched them. The little blond was in there going from nest to nest fussing. The rooster who is her same age, 22 weeks, came in calling and calling. Then they both went into a corner behind a pallet I have set up like a ladder and started scratching around. The rooster was scratching and sitting down like he was going to lay an egg! He keeps purring too. She gets all upset and starts squawking and walking around and he purrs at her. There was one other girl in the coop sitting in a nest box. But when blondie starts with the ruckus the others join in. It's not a constant commotion like it was but they start up every so often.
(I did take video but Google says my accounts is suspended so I can't upload to YouTube. Have to dispute it and that could take days.)

Finally got answers to two questions. Apparently they were all celebrating the coming of age of Blondie. And she lays blush pink eggs!

My bantam EE roo does that half the time his girls are laying. Then that starts up the other 20. Gotten use to it, only taken 2 years. Warning calls are much louder with a growl in front of them then the racket if all 30 plus joining in.

My bantam EE roo does that half the time his girls are laying. Then that starts up the other 20. Gotten use to it, only taken 2 years. Warning calls are much louder with a growl in front of them then the racket if all 30 plus joining in.

I've had the girls make noise over weird stuff. It's an "I'm upset with..." call. A lot of get out of my way I want THAT nest box. Or hey mom our food is low. Before I had a roo when it was an alarm only my bossy girl would do it.
They were rather loud and I've never had all of them going together. And for so long. Hopefully this won't happen every time she lays an egg. I'm not sure I could take it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom