OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Always a great day to be a Buckeye! We are in Southeast Ohio, way down in Athens County...I am wondering if anyone knows of a processor in this part of the state. I have a few too many roos after purchasing a straight run. I want to learn to process myself, but need a little confidence first so as to not let them needlessly suffer. I have watched a lot of videos. I put them them on craigslist, as they are Black Copper Marans, but only one taker and only one roo. So they are destined for the freezer or canner. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Be blessed!

ivyboo, I am near you! I live just west of sylvania Twp, within walking distance of Secor Park. We have had chickens for about 3 years now and everything I learned about chickens, I learned on this website!
We are in point place. Now that I have a chicken addiction, I wish we were in the country. Lol I would love to have more than 6. Right now we only have 4. I really thought about trying to hatch our own this spring. I think it would be a great experience for my kids!

Always a great day to be a Buckeye! We are in Southeast Ohio, way down in Athens County...I am wondering if anyone knows of a processor in this part of the state. I have a few too many roos after purchasing a straight run. I want to learn to process myself, but need a little confidence first so as to not let them needlessly suffer. I have watched a lot of videos. I put them them on craigslist, as they are Black Copper Marans, but only one taker and only one roo. So they are destined for the freezer or canner. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Be blessed!

I'm just over the WV border from you. Would like to find someone too. Lots of roos here! I usually give them away but this time of year is tough for even that. Mine are mostly bantam, so not really worth us going thru all the trouble, but if i could take them somewhere...maybe.

Most I know of are pretty far from us..I'm right next door from you too. Im in between Albany and Pomeroy. One in Bradford Ohio, Baltic Ohio, and Phillipi WV. Here's a linkhttps://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=235
Your best bet may be to try and find one of local Amish that will do it for small fee. Maybe ask around at TSC or smaller feed store if they have a bulletin board you can post a type of help wanted processing add for someone. Or if ya wait til farmers market start back up you could maybe find someone there

Last edited:

We're just north of you in Hocking. I have a friend in Vinton County that raises and processes meat chickens. I just sent her an email about your request. Will let you know what she says. 6 months ago I would have loved to get a BC Marans roo. I was hoping to pair it up with our Ameraucanas and get some Olive Eggers. We got several BCM and they all turned out to be pullets. Since then we have somehow acquired 2 asst. roos, which is one too many.

Just posted this Silkie/Cochin rooster for Sale or Trade: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-cochin-rooster-for-sale-trade-ne-oh.1210816/

If I don't have any interest in him by Sunday, he'll be butchered.

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

I think my husband and I will be doing some butchering on Sunday. You can join us if you you're willing to drive up here and we can show you how and help you.

Back
Top Bottom