Ohio Exotic Animals Let Loose - anyone loose their poultry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a issues with tiger, lions, and bears(monkeys, snakes, and so forth) being in captivity. In 1983 i bought a boa from a pet store, I lived in an apartment and wanted a quiet pet. Henry was awesome, accept he kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. the salesperson told me he would get to be 3 feet. 7 feet and 40 pounds later and 1 daughter, I realized, big mistake. He was still an awesome pet, I took him to show and tell at Kate's school, but I know he would be happier in is own habitat. When i got him he was so little and full of ticks, I didn't even know snakes could have ticks. I know now that meant he was caught out in the wild, bred snakes don't have ticks. I bought a snake the was captured from the wild.
sad.png
Never again.

Apparently there is a monkey with herpes still on the loose, I thought my wife was joking but she said she was serious???!!!

Quote:
Unless a person knows what they're doing in term of genetics and so forth as put in a previous post, they shouldn't be messing with breeding any kind of animal (except maybe mice or chickens). Same thing goes for backyard dog and cat breeders.

So, if a person has a dog that they love and they want it to have puppies, they "shouldn't be messing" with that unless they are some sort of genetics expert? That's bananas.

Yup. Look at popular breeds for the last 75 years or so. They got popular and people with no knowledge of what they were doing started breeding them in their backyards and selling them to poor schmucks that didn't know what they were getting.

These dogs originally had a purpose they were bred for--Irish Setters, Cocker Spaniels, German Shepards, Brittainy Spaniels, Airdales, various Pit Bull breeds (that's all I can think of on the spur of the moment)--and all were ruined. People who are responsible, educated breeders are trying to bring these breeds back to what they once were. People who "has a dog they love and want to have puppies" are filling dog pounds across the country with unwanted dogs that are eventually destroyed. Finding homes for your pups isn't the answer. That just takes up a home that another dog might have had.

Quote:
I'm assuming that the daughter is yours and not Henry's. What in the world are you doing with a seven-foot constrictor around your child? Henry is not your friend. He is a potential child killing, child eating wild animal.

Quote:
Oh My...

Bred snakes can have ticks. Who ever told you that just because he had ticks meant he was WC might very well have been wrong.

I am not in any way saying that yours for sure was WC but that is just false information.

Quote:
I'm assuming that the daughter is yours and not Henry's. What in the world are you doing with a seven-foot constrictor around your child? Henry is not your friend. He is a potential child killing, child eating wild animal.

Seriously?

Many people who keep and breed large snakes have children.

The rare one that you see on TV that has attacked a child is the owners fault. Not the snakes fault. A properly contained and fed snake ( regardless of the size ) is no danger to a child.

Just stumbled in... what exactly was this guy doing with 45 exotic animals? seems suicide would be normal. The guy obviously had issues.

Another reason backyard breeders got a foothold in the market was because they could sell pet quality animals for way less than the ridiculous breeder prices.
Quote:
So, if a person has a dog that they love and they want it to have puppies, they "shouldn't be messing" with that unless they are some sort of genetics expert? That's bananas.

Yup. Look at popular breeds for the last 75 years or so. They got popular and people with no knowledge of what they were doing started breeding them in their backyards and selling them to poor schmucks that didn't know what they were getting.

These dogs originally had a purpose they were bred for--Irish Setters, Cocker Spaniels, German Shepards, Brittainy Spaniels, Airdales, various Pit Bull breeds (that's all I can think of on the spur of the moment)--and all were ruined. People who are responsible, educated breeders are trying to bring these breeds back to what they once were. People who "has a dog they love and want to have puppies" are filling dog pounds across the country with unwanted dogs that are eventually destroyed. Finding homes for your pups isn't the answer. That just takes up a home that another dog might have had.

It's over, local news has confirmed all animals are now accounted for. There were two monkeys, one that had been eaten by one of the big cats, and second, the possibly herpes-infected monkey, was found dead.

Please, folks, this is a tragedy all around, can we please stop the sniping? There are people who are great animal caretakers and animal owners that are morons, it's just how the world is. I'm not judging this guy or anyone else because, I for one, do not claim to have the moral authority to pronounce what the "right" solution should be. YMMV. Peace.

ETA to add "possibly"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom