Ok Florida, Need a vet to look at my chicks, can you help?

joann

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Brooksville
I have a small flock of 30 birds. I been raising them for 8 months. I have 13 white rocks, 1 WR roo, mix of black star and brown sex links. They have been excellent layers. Sell enough egg to buy there feed. From the get go I have had a problem with them losing thier feathers. I have tryed many things. could have been bordom built them a 200 sq foot run to play. Could have been a lack of vitiman K, they eat more green food then we do. could have been lice, mites ect. ok lime in nesting boxes every weeks with new bedding and Sevins 5 in dust baths weekly some times the feathers appear to be growing back in and they in a day or two the new on are gone. the black and brown are under weight but most of the WR are heavey with less feather lose. they eat well with dumor16% layerfeed, cracked corn and scatch grain.They are really really mean to each other. (way beyond the picking order) If the roo mounts one of the hens the others peck the crap out of it. they chase after each others and pluck out feathers and eats them. Last night i came home to a dead chicken, with a large hole in her leg. It was like it came out on no where. Everyday when I get home from work I feed them a lb of feed and fill one or two for there dust baths with water for them to play in they love the water. They also get lb of food in am and the have a 7 lb feeder that is full.

I am not sure what killer the hen i am questing the the infection was to much to hadle. One more think the WR were vacinated from Ester Hatchery and the BS and BSL were not, but they came from Ideal Poultry.

so if any of u have any ideas or a vet that will look at one of them please lit me know. I live in brooksville 1 hour north of Tampa.

Hi Jo anne:>)
Well, the vet won't be able to stop them from being mean to each other, and it seems to me that is the major issue here. They are pulling each others feathers out. Do they have alot of room in the coop? Ventelation?

Last edited:
the coop is 9 ft by 18 ft. It is devidied into 3 section. all the section are open to the flock. As for ventalation the coop is all open and covered with chicken wire. during the cold months the back sections are cover with packing blankets. I was wrong the ckicken run is over 1000 sq feet. they are out by 10 am and they go in at dark. I really don't think that space is a problem. Thanks Joann

Maybe try some peepers (an anti-pecking device) and see if that puts an end to the feather loss. Also make sure they are getting enough oyster shell for calcium. I keep my layers on 20-22% protein.

HTH

Rusty

Last edited:
for peepers as yuou call them I hang gabbage from the roof of the coop. keeps them busy for a little bit and also vit K. Oyster shells are given almost every day, some time in their food but mostly on the ground from them to scatch. Thanks Joann

Quote:
Rusty is that a gamebird mix or are you supplementing protein some other way.... I have RIRs that got mauled bby their roo last spring and are STILL naked. One finally has feathers coming in, still no sign of feathers poking on the other 2... I worry about them getting sunburned come summer. I was at a ratio of 9/1 roo....now I am at 22/1 and it seems to be better... But I was wondering what I migth supplement to induce feathering..... Thanks
smile.png

Could it be the amount of feed that they are getting? if you do the math 2 lbs devivded by 30 birds ia about an once a day. Maybe i shopuld get them some chick start that is 24. I am going to ask my DH but what do you all think?

I was wrong they are getting 2 lb 14 oz twice a day that is 2.6 oz each plus what ever bug or grub that they can catch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom