OK I HAVE TO VENT!!! UPDATE UPDATE U R NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!

I have to say that it breaks my heart that a lot of rescuers become so hateful and bitter and make God decisions. At least that is what I call it. I did cat rescue back in California for a woman there. We refused to deal with the human society and their workers as they were so mean and hateful to new pet owners and applications. I did that for four and a half years until I moved and no longer was able to have more than my one personal cat. She was so cool about really checking into people to make sure that the home was good and that her interview with them personally fit the bill. She always spayed and neutered before adopting out and had a better idea of what makes a happy home - including pet homes with children. I enjoyed my time working for this lady and really learned a lot and had a lot of respect for her. In that time I also had a lot of dealings with other rescuers that were like this lady in the OP story. And I still to this day run into them with other animals I am involved with. I think they get burried in their way is the only way and it only hurts the animals involved. I mean, get the animal a home and open up space for a new one to get the same chance.

I am sorry to hear you were treated so badly. I hope that you are able to find something for your family and your daughter.

Quote:
I too have been denied because I don't have a fenced yard. I live on a large farm and the pup would have had a great life, but they'd rather euthanize than adopt to a good home I guess.

I have made a couple of exceptions to that "rule" with my pups, but sometimes the rescue groups I've fostered for have been much stricter about it. When you think about it, people in apartments have dogs, right? At some point, you have to be able to trust your judgment in people, or no dog would ever get adopted.

I found that the truly irresponsible owners almost always "outed" themselves. The few times that I did the casework on potential adoptees (which I hated--I much prefer fostering the dogs than dealing with the people), I wouldn't react if they said they did not have a fenced yard, but I'd ask lots of followup questions. You'd be amazed at the number of people who said that no, they didn't have a fenced yard, but their last dog(s) never left the yard...then a few questions later, you find out that their previous dog was hit by a car in front of their own house!

Ironically, the absolute WORST referrals I get for either pups of my own or rescue dogs come from MY VET. It's like they don't even know me! "Oh, you want a poodle? And your last three dogs were run over, poisoned by neighbors, and fell down the stairs and broke their neck? Here, this person is into breed rescue/occasionally has puppies, give her a call."

he.gif

Quote:
i work for a shelter and I don't even know of a single rescue that doesn't do the spay/neuter. that is downright fishy. the ONLY cases are if the animal is too young and there isn't a vet qualified to do early spay/neuter. BTW Working with the rescues that i deal with on a regular basis gives me a lot of insight. There are tons of freaks running rescues and NO ONE is good enough. Do not take it personal. Move on.
The dog on the avatar looks like a beagle/ min-pin mix. Do the DNA test and I'll do my dog and we can post the answers on a new thread! That'll be cool!!

Quote:
Right ninja!..thats what i was trying to say in my previous post...what kind of "Rescue" dosent spay/neuter?..espically with the adoption fee that was being charged?!...something is just not right!..

This is a whole aspect of dog ownership that I'm not familiar with at all and after reading your post and some of the replies, I wouldn't want to deal with all of that. I raise my dogs to work. I buy them as puppies and train them to get along with my children and animals and to do the job I got them for. I think this takes a lot of work but also avoids the hassle of inheriting the problems someone else has trained into a dog. Kudos to those of you who have successfully rescued dogs, I guess it's just not my thing.

Quote:
It's no secret that I myself am a "purebred person," meaning I love and support the purebred dog fancy and dog sports, and even show and occasionally breed litters of my own, after completing rigorous health/genetic testing and pedigree research.

That said, you would be AMAZED at what can be accomplished, training-wise, with shelter/rescue dogs! I know of several trainers of "helper" dogs (like "hearing ear" dogs) who consistently get their prospects from local shelters. They come to have a really great "feel" and instinct for which dogs will make good helpers, and the talent to bring out the best in those dogs.

Like you, I have nothing but respect for everyone involved in the rescue process. We don't have a lot of money, so I can't donate a lot of funds to these causes, and the screening process/behind-the-scenes work is too frustrating/heartbreaking for me, so I tend to work with my strengths when I'm involved in the rescue process, and provide a foster home to dogs who've been pulled from shelters and are awaiting new homes. I have seen miraculous turnarounds in what most people would've considered lost causes. So many dogs are unbelievably forgiving and adaptable, just needing a little TLC and a consistent routine to bring out their true selves.

Quote:
It's no secret that I myself am a "purebred person," meaning I love and support the purebred dog fancy and dog sports, and even show and occasionally breed litters of my own, after completing rigorous health/genetic testing and pedigree research.

That said, you would be AMAZED at what can be accomplished, training-wise, with shelter/rescue dogs! I know of several trainers of "helper" dogs (like "hearing ear" dogs) who consistently get their prospects from local shelters. They come to have a really great "feel" and instinct for which dogs will make good helpers, and the talent to bring out the best in those dogs.

Like you, I have nothing but respect for everyone involved in the rescue process. We don't have a lot of money, so I can't donate a lot of funds to these causes, and the screening process/behind-the-scenes work is too frustrating/heartbreaking for me, so I tend to work with my strengths when I'm involved in the rescue process, and provide a foster home to dogs who've been pulled from shelters and are awaiting new homes. I have seen miraculous turnarounds in what most people would've considered lost causes. So many dogs are unbelievably forgiving and adaptable, just needing a little TLC and a consistent routine to bring out their true selves.

I'm not necessarily a "purebred person" although I understand the merits of that as well. My biggest thing is that I personally feel a lot more comfortable with a dog around that I have raised from a puppy. I feel like I can trust it more because of the work I put into it. With a rescue dog, I'm not sure what I'd be getting. I would be afraid for my children.
I send my two young boys outside with the dog when they go out to play. I know if someone tried to touch my kids she would tear their leg off. At the same time, she is very gentle with them. I posted a story a while back about my pig getting out and chasing my kids and the dog saving them by attacking the pig. I'm not sure I could rely on a rescue dog the same way. Maybe I'm wrong in this but it's something I've never been able to get past.

Conroy- I would be furious if I had received the same emails. That woman was bitter and should really find a different hobby.

Quote:
Yep. This is totally understandable, and just one of many reasons that I don't like to see people being slammed for buying a puppy instead of adopting a shelter dogs. I totally support rescue of animals and spend my own time and resources toward that end. But there are lots of reasons, totally legitimate reasons, why many people make a thoughtful choice to buy a puppy.

Personally, I really appreciate the predictability you get with a purebred--you can have reasonable expectations about what that pup will grow to become--even moreso if you've raised it yourself and shaped it into the companion you desire. Only you know what your priorities are for a companion/working dog, and no one is better suited than you for selecting/developing that companion.

Back
Top Bottom