OK, i have to vent...

Officer Williams is the one who helped me on Monday. I asked her not to write a citation to this person, but to call them instead and explain my rights as a livestock owner. She said she would.

I also found out that animal control will not actually take the animal away. They just keep writing citations that increase in cost and after a certain number, you have to appear in front of a judge and pay court fees as well.

As far as the money goes, I took a financial loss at $400. Egg sales alone over the next 6 months would have been $600. Not to mention food, elec, time.

I really don't feel that she "has to pay, or else!" I just wanted to recoupe the losses while I was raising another flock to laying age. The entire $400 is going directly into a chainlink/concrete enclosure that her dog would not be able to get into even if it did come on the property. We are also going to run a large fenced area this spring that will enclose our entire backyard, garden,patio, chicken, swingset area. This will hopefully help keep her dogs out. Speckledhen and Jean from pips and peeps have generously offered some hatching eggs to get me going again.

On the topic of the kids, I have a 4 and a 6 year old who know not to interfere if something is killing the chickens and I doubt this dog would bite a person if it wasn't going chicken crazy at the time. That said, I am not going to risk their safety on a hunch.

Hopefully she will keep the dog restrained and it won't be a problem again.

This is how I would respond.
I'd tell my neighbor "the next time your dog comes on my property, I'm going to blow it's head off and then call you to come and remove it's dead stinking bloody corpse from my property, and then I'm going to hold you responsible for the rest of my life for what YOU forced me to do"
And then I would follow through with exactly what I said.

We've reached a point in this country that our constitutional rights are under a daily assault from not only the government but out neighbors as well.
ONE of these rights is to be secure in your property.
Use your rights or lose your rights, if you don't defend them and you lose them you have nobody to blame but yourself.

IF you allow someone to make you feel guilty for protecting the lives of your chickens, then you don't deserve to be the caretaker of those chickens, THEY depend on you for their very lives.

This may sound harsh, but it's the way that it honestly is.

i cannot believe i am writing this,,,,,,
but that dog would be taking a ride,,,,i wouldnt kill it,,,,,
but i would place it,,,,,,,
my father always said,,,dont complain to anyone, and when they come looking for the dog,,,act surprised and sorry for them,,,,,honestly , she cant afford the dog,,,,it is costing her,,,,

marcuscarr - it sounds like you are well considering your loss and a loss of income that is akin to losing a job. I hope everything goes well. Maybe you can post pictures of your new coop?

Marcus, I think you are handling this in a mature way that keeps neighborly relations open and giving every chance to the neighbor.
I am so sorry for your loss of income and hens.

I don't think many of us would show such restraint.
I admire that!
smile.png

I agree with the Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up method. If the ladies dog keeps getting out and coming over, it can be handled and you just say that you haven't seen it. It's more than likely leaving crap on other peoples property and annoying other as well.
Here in SC we all shoot dogs that city folks drive out and drop off in the country. Brainless twits are to weak to take care of their own problems so they shuffle em off on other people.
Two years back, I lost 30 laying hens one night to a dog with no collar. It came back while I was burying their carcass and started to take one. I shot him where he stood and buried him under the birds. We all around here have taken to killing any dog that isn't wearing a collar.
Good luck with your brainless neighbor lady. Nine hundred bucks would of bought a real nice chainlink kennel.
Unbelievable too that she used the single parent excuss.
I would from experience, use No. 1 buck in that 870 and a full choke.
Good Luck Friend
Y'all have a nice day now.

The trouble with the shoot, shovel, and shut up method is you allow yourself to be made into a liar for defending your God given right to protect the lives of your livestock.

I don't believe in lying or apologizing for doing the right thing particularly when FORCED to do so.

If I did shoot the dog, it would be after many warnings. I would call her and ask her to come and get the dog. I would also leave the dog lying where it fell. Which would be trying to dig into the chicken pen.

I think the combination of this latest cost to her, combined with our new fence and chicken fortress, will make shooting the dog a moot point....hopefully.

In any case, I agree with you. I am not going to let her indiscretion taint my integrity.

Back
Top Bottom