Ok, New Pets Coming Saturday

edbama2

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
Slocomb, Alabama
I just decided to add to the mini farm. I bought 4 pigs and I have to get them this Saturday. I am hoping that they will keep the snakes down near my chicken coop and run. I am looking foward to it though.
wee.gif

wee.gif
Have fun with those little piggies! So they will be just pets? Not for the freezer? What breed did you get? I know most pigs are great for eating snakes! I think I need about 100 pigs! We get over run with snakes in the summer. They are just garden snakes...but..UGH, a snake is a snake! I dont kill them..but I wish they would LEAVE! LOL

Two of them will be pets for breeding purposes. The other two will be named pork chops and bacon. I already told the kids not to get attached to any other than the 2 keepers. The local feed store just had them listed as feeder pigs. I will be talking to the farmer that raised them today to find out for sure.
caf.gif

Quote:
If they are feeder pigs this means they are probably market pigs. Most market pigs go at about 264 lbs. A breeder sow tops out at about 500 lbs. Many people don't have a clue on how big pigs can get. A mature boar's back can reach up to your waist. A sow with little ones is really cute. Pigs are very interesting and smart animals. Piglets are born with eyes open and with teeth! They are up and running around in no time. Male piglets goijng to market have to be casterated as it has something to due to the hormone thing. Storey's also have a guide to raising pigs which is excellent. Have fun with your pigs.

Thank You, I have finished putting up the pig pen and will be getting them tommorow. I am still trying to get an extra sow and have some one coming to show me how to castrate the one that is not a pet. I will have to get pics tomm. on that one. It has been a tiresome day since I work nights and trying to get everything in order.
th.gif

Ok, I got my pigs today. They seem happy with there pen and they will keep the snakes down for my chics. Oh yeah, I got 30 more chics today too. and 16 turkeys will be coming next week.
Picture111.jpg
Picture119.jpg
Picture123.jpg
wee.gif

So, which one is bacon? I think I'll like him best.
big_smile.png
Okay, who'm I kidding. They're cute. They're even cute when they're huge. Still tasty, though.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom