Ok, Small, quiet, friendly ducks? Do they exist?

Ally Rose

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
NJ
I really need to decide on a duck now. Any suggestions that are quiet, small, and good pets? I was thinking of the mandarin, but I have to let that idea go because they are not good pets even though they are small and pretty and kinda quiet. I really need some good answers so try to help me out! I'm not sure if i'm searching for wildfowl or not but they seem to be really small, but really good fliers, too. Thanks for all of your help!!
yippiechickie.gif

I think you need a permit to keep Mandarins or Wood Ducks...
But, I do know some ducks that are quiet, or friendly, or small :) I'm not sure there is a duck that has all those characteristics ;)

Pekins are very fun, pretty, cute and friendly! My best duck ever was a pekin. Always waited for me and followed me. They also lay lots of white eggs and can work as meat birds also :)

Cayuga's are beautiful black ducks with iridescent green/blue feathers, both the male and female are quiet, and friendly but some can be shy, that's why you should always buy them as ducklings and raise them yourself to be good around humans :)

Call Ducks are the smallest ducks kind of like the Bantam Chicken :) A bit louder but are super cute, and friendly and can lay lots of eggs!

I just got bibbed black east indies. Stay as small or smaller than mallards. Beautiful iridescent black/green feathering like the cayuga. Not sure yet of their volume levels tho. Some of them have been very vocal & others are very quiet & I rarely hear them.

While I feel mild tempers are based on the personality and not on the specie of the duck, I have found orpington buff ducks to be the quietest and sweetest in my duck experience!
Again, like I said every breed has their good and bad, but you'll be able to tell their personalities from little.

Yes I do love them but my main thing is that they have to be small and I think they are in the heavy duck class. Maybe I will look into getting some of them though. If I got heavy ducks, I would only be able to have 2 at the most, and Im hatching so I don't know if that will work out
sad.png

I would recommend runner ducks. I've always read that they were skiddish, but mine is the only one of all my ducks who will stand and let me pet her. As someone else wrote, I agree that it's probably more about the individual duck and how they were raised. My girl "talks" a LOT but isn't too loud even when she's quacking. Also, they come in lots of colors!

Yes I do love them but my main thing is that they have to be small and I think they are in the heavy duck class. Maybe I will look into getting some of them though. If I got heavy ducks, I would only be able to have 2 at the most, and Im hatching so I don't know if that will work out
sad.png
They're not heavy ducks at all.
Mine are very small and light in weight! I have 3 !
Whatever duck you choose, you're guaranteed to fall in love with it- that is the one thing I am sure of!!!!

Thanks! I believe that too! its just i need to get one that is good for my area. At first I thought I was definitely getting buffs, but then I discovered more breeds and now I'm stuck!!!

Call ducks are small and really friendly so are good pets. Mine are fairly quiet although they are supposed to be really loud but theyre so loveable - just like all ducks!

Back
Top Bottom