Ok, so I guess I shouldn't go to the feed store alone, cuz look!

On my way home the other day I noticed that the hardware store sign read, "Last chance for chicks!"... I had to fight to hold my steering wheel straight & not turn into the store!
lol.png
If we had more land, I would be dangerous!

I remember Darkwing Duck! He was on DangerMouse! I've got to dig out those DC's and watch them again! I love DangerMouse.

Congratulations on your new babies!

Someone who knows more about ducks please chime in here, but I have heard/read that baby ducks shouldn't be put in water to swim till they have feathers, if they are NOT with/being raised by their Mama, because they get oil from her feathers to keep them waterproof, but if not with Mom, the water soaks them, and very bad for them. Is this true?

I am in NO WAY a duck expert.

I had heard that too, so I was shocked when I saw ducklings swimming at a friends house. She laughed at me, and said that is what a lot of people think.

This is what she told me, It is OK to let them swim, but never unattended.
Mom tells them when to get out of the water to keep them from getting too soaked.
If you let them swim, do it for short amounts of time (she didn't say how long).

This made good sense to me.

Jean

I wasn't sure either so I asked them at the feed store, and they said its a common misconception that most have about baby ducks. Ducklings CAN swim at 1 day old, wether or not they have their mum. It doesn't really have to do that much with the oils on their fuzz/feathers when they are this young. Well, at least not entirely. The oil gland doesn't fully develope on them until they are older.

Ducks have what are called 'air sacs' which keep them afloat. When they want to dive under, they pull their feathers in tight (which releases the air trapped beneath them), and expel all the air from their air sacs. They can then dive under the water. When they want to resurface, they kick towards the surface. As soon as their head is out of the water they take a deep breath which refills the air sacs and pulls them quickly to the surface. Then they give a shake, and all their feathers are returned to normal.

The fuzz on ducklings is totally different than a chicks fuzz, I am finding. It doesnt feel 'soft' or 'fluffy', but more 'fuzzy'. The water just beads up on them and rolls off. They should never swim when you can not watch them though until they are a bit older.

My duckies were already 4-5 days old when I got them, and they're now going on a week old. Yesterday I put them in a deeper tub to see what they could do, and they actually swam under the water! Then they bob back up and look totally dry. So weird!

And of course the chicks and older chickens think they are NUTS going in the water on their own! lol
tongue.png

Yes...the babies can have a swim. They will be just fine as lon as they can get out and aren't in too long..they can get water logged. At about 3-4 weeks, if you take your finger and rub at the base of their tail on top, you will see their oil is already in and they know how to use it!! Your finger will be all shiny with natural oils!....if you dip your finger then into some water you can see the water bead up....There is a little tuft of feathers, or at that point fuz, and that is where they get their oils from. They know how to do it and if you watch them , they will rub the bottom of their beak on the base of their tails and then rub it over their bodies...Pretty neat stuff.!!!

I have been considereing getting two ducks, aslo Peckin, for a couple weeks. Seeing those pictures just made up my mind! They are THE CUTEST EVER! I wouldnt have been able to leave them their either. Lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom