Ok this ad irritated me

All of those breeding dogs deserve a better life.

First, I am not picking on this particular poster or anyone really, but just using this quote to reply to. All "breeding dogs" do not have a bad life. From my years showing dogs, I have known many good quality breeders whose "breeding dogs" live better lives than many pet dogs. And some of those dogs do get placed in pet homes when they are no longer part of the breeder's breeding plans. These are not dogs that are unceremoniously dumped on the first person who comes along or left at a shelter, etc. They are placed with the same care and consideration that a puppy would be placed with. I don't see where there is anything wrong with this. I know the politically correct thing nowadays is to denigrate anyone who breeds dogs as an evil money grubbing jerk who treats their dogs as money machines, but that is simply not true of every breeder. I am thankful for the good breeders out there who devote their lives to producing quality dogs so that I can enjoy them. I have seen them stay up all night whelping puppies or nursing sick dogs, etc. I have seen them cry over the loss of a day old puppy or worse, the mother. And I can tell you they are not getting rich doing it either.

I don't know anything about the person who originally posted to give away their dog and the "needs home ASAP" part is bothersome, but to lump all breeders in the same category of evil money grubbers is just wrong.​

Quote:
The same way you would rehome or eat a Hen who doesn't lay anymore same diff this dog had a purpose and now that purpose is done so instead of giving it to the pound to take care of it they are giveing to a good home so think of this way they are rehoming it and to give all that stuff away with it I think that is really nice of them to do that so they must care about the dog somewhat.

Quote:
But if you are a good breeder you have people wanting your adult dogs, not just the puppies. So you wouldn't have to use CL to "dump" your dogs once they are 6 years old.
Ever gone to a quality breeders website? They have adult dogs for sale too. They have several reasons for selling. They may be retired breeders. They may be downsizing. They may not be the quality they want for breeding. They may not have the "it" factor for training. They may be importing them for someone else and things fell through.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the post. What's the difference between a dog and a horse that can't be used for breeding anymore?? The horse owner would most like find a new home for the mare if she couldn't be used for breeding. In fact, I have a few of those. One of them was only a few hours from being put down when I got the call from a friend who was desprately trying to find her a home for the owner. All because she wasn't able to be bred any more. I have gotten her going under saddle again, and she is absolutely wonderful out on trails. I don't want to sound like I'm being smart, I just really don't understand the problem.
idunno.gif

Holly I completely agree with you. Most breeders who would rehome a dog after it's breeding days are over wouldn't say it's an ASAP situation. They would care about placing the dog in the right home especially since it wasn't a pup. Also for the most part society considers dogs as family pets and not livestock. This ad to me screams livestock that has outlived it's usefullness.

Now I didn't post the one a week or so ago that really had my jaw drop. It went something like this: We are looking to adopt a baby girl up to 3 years old. We couldn't have a child of our own. .... They stated their religion and phone number. Now keep in mind this is freeshare and many members responded to that ad stating how inappropriate it was and questioned why it was even allowed (new member, not on moderated posting). My thoughts were "this is freeshare not childshare. There are several reputable adoption agencies that could help".

I have seen retired breeders. I have seen them used so much that the back end is gone! This may sound gross, BUT I have seen them used so much that the back end leaks non stop! That could be the reason for the ASAP! They are still great animals but have been used and abused by perpetual repeat breeding until their bodies cant stand it any more. This is so sad!!!! People are Horrible and terrible abusers of animals for money!!!! ANYTHING for a Dollar!

God Bless!

Quote:
Yeah, until you actually go through one of those "reputable" adoption agencies. I know people who did that and after going through all the red tape, paying for the mother for various things, etc., still didn't get the kid because she decided to keep it, and they were out all their money. They had to go through it all AGAIN to actually get a child, and that took a long time to be finalized. I think advertising directly to the private party is the way to go. Cuts out the middle man...a lawyer can handle the legalities.

ok..say these "good breeders" keep all their retired breeders,,,either in the house or in the kennels,pretty soon they are then called "hoarders" and all the animals are taken away anyway..some people you just cannot please..

Quote:
Adoption isn't easy. My mom's best friend went through alot to adopt. But there is a proper way to do it and asking on freeshare isn't the proper way. You can get burned by a mother deciding to keep her baby no matter what route you take.

Back
Top Bottom