Ok to put nest box(s) under the roost?

Renthorin

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Dexter Michigan
I have twin 2x4's about 30 inches off the ground along one wall of the coop. I had planned to have the nest boxes on the other side but the ladies seem to like stomping around in that area. My food bucket is hanging in the middle of the room and they can all gather around it, unless I put the box along the opposite side from the roost.

I have the room to put the nest boxes under the roost but should I? I have a wood board, on which sits two rubber tubs and a tarp, to catch the poo and make cleanup a snap. That should keep poo off the slanted top of the nest boxes.

The coop floor is 7.5x7.5 and I have 12 hens, to give you an idea of the floor space.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Will

the main reason not to do it was for keeping poop off the eggs,so that might work. However,I hope these girls have a bigger run? I have seen cannibalism and awful bullying with even 6 hens in a space that small.

They seem to be getting along fine. They all pile up at one end of the roost, instead of using the whole space.

I just want to make sure they get as much floor space as possible so they don't feel crowded when in the coop at night.

During the day they are either locked in their 10x30 run or out in their 1/4 acre fenced "free-range" area, though not really free I guess
smile.png

I, too, am debating where to put my nestboxes. I don't want to take up floor space either so I am leaning toward cutting access holes through the wall of the hen house and attaching nestboxes to the outside (with lids).

Here is how I have mine to show you. Mine works great after a few adjustments.
smile.png

Here is the roost.........

85019_img_2126.jpg

Here is the nest boxes right below that......

85019_img_2127.jpg

My pop door is under the nest boxes to the right hand side.

Back
Top Bottom