***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
That is the main thing with trying to diagnose a bird. Most diseases present nearly the exact set of symptoms and the true cause of illness can be subclinical (no symptoms) and then it brings the bird down and other things take over so those are the symptoms that you see.

Even when quarentined it's no guarentee that a bird won't either bring something into the flock or your flock could give something to the new birds and you think you bought sick birds. There are so many diseases that the birds can be carriers of and it won't present itself until the birds are stressed.

I talked to a lady once that had birds coming down sick sporatically for no real reason that we could pin point. She had a closed flock, kept the coop and run clean. The run was covered and double walled with wire to eliminate close contact with wild birds yet the birds were still getting sick. One day she was home from work, sick herself, drinking a hot cup of tea and watching the birds when a Fox hopped her back fence and cut across her yard. Two days later she had more sick birds but she found the reason. Mr. Fox did not like the hot wire she erected on top of her fence.

Quote:
Sounds like you found a good Vet.. the B-12 will boost them up and get them eating and drinking which will save them.. the antibiotics will help fight off what ever is causing the problems..

I really like the oxine and have not used anything else since it was sugested to me... I now keep a pump up spray bottle on hand, to spray hands, feet, birds etc, it will save a lot of trouble.. I also dip any new bird...

Quote:
Are you making my mothers "Chicken Surprise" (it didn't have chicken in it sometimes), or even worse "Whatever" which includes whatever you find in the cabinet, fridge, or freezer? Needless to say I started cooking dinner for the family at an early age.

Nope, made a turkey sausage and mixed veggie stew. The kids loved it. James went and bought himself a pizza.

In some of her recipies Teva has subsituted Buffalo for ground Beef. Talk about some good eating!

Quote:
Nope, made a turkey sausage and mixed veggie stew. The kids loved it. James went and bought himself a pizza.

In some of her recipies Teva has subsituted Buffalo for ground Beef. Talk about some good eating!

You need to call the next time she does that... I will save you the trouble of having eat that Buffalo...

Quote:
That is the main thing with trying to diagnose a bird. Most diseases present nearly the exact set of symptoms and the true cause of illness can be subclinical (no symptoms) and then it brings the bird down and other things take over so those are the symptoms that you see.

Even when quarentined it's no guarentee that a bird won't either bring something into the flock or your flock could give something to the new birds and you think you bought sick birds. There are so many diseases that the birds can be carriers of and it won't present itself until the birds are stressed.

I talked to a lady once that had birds coming down sick sporatically for no real reason that we could pin point. She had a closed flock, kept the coop and run clean. The run was covered and double walled with wire to eliminate close contact with wild birds yet the birds were still getting sick. One day she was home from work, sick herself, drinking a hot cup of tea and watching the birds when a Fox hopped her back fence and cut across her yard. Two days later she had more sick birds but she found the reason. Mr. Fox did not like the hot wire she erected on top of her fence.

That story's an eyeopener. I have a bad habit of trying too hard to figure things out and missing the obvious. You're sooo right about the diseases. Those are all the things the vet told me, too. At 1st I blamed the sweet sexlink hens since they came from a questionable place. But that just couldn't be because the run I built for the babies at 5 wks old is right where the sex links were 1st. And the Cochin babies didn't start getting sick until they were 3 mo old. And it hit fast. So I'll just never know. I miss my 2 little pullets I lost though. Such gentle little souls.

Quote:

You need to call the next time she does that... I will save you the trouble of having eat that Buffalo...

That's some good eating!!

Quote:

That's some good eating!!

I know and Les is complaining can you belive that? I will gladdly help him out so he doesn't have to suffer like that..

Back
Top Bottom