***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
No I didn't they were zipper cream southern peas.

I googled them & they are suppose to have a high yield. Last yr I planted some pole beans & only ever picked enough to throw in a stir-fry. It was a sad waste of space for me! About as sad as my broccoli & cauliflower. But my cabbage did well--- the worms all came over to enjoy it.

sounds like our poor tomatoes this year- tried container gardening and got maybe 20 tomatoes, i think the heat is what did them in though... and certain ducks that are dear to my heart....
hu.gif

Quote:
Just make sure it stops wriggling before you serve it and everything should be fine. LOL

Les, I ate thing in Central and South America that met those rules, I quit asking what it was unless I liked it, I was very surprised at some of the things I ate.. Really changes the outlook one has as to the selection available in the stores here.

Quote:
You should feel those birds in the hand, they are bricks of solid meat, Cornish have a real competitor in those birds I think.. He does take very good care of his birds though...

well, the hen i was worried about seemed fine tonite, in the midst of the frenzy for treats- so i really am not sure- gave her a warm bath and tummy rub, maybe she just needed some TLC...

40710_photo208.jpg

I bot this bird at the auction he was so poor i dont no how he made it..His bill was cross wer he couldnt eat.
40710_photo209.jpg

This is wat it lookd like after i trimd it back ,,it only took 2sec to fix the prob, His bill matchd up fine..

Quote:
Kass, both beans and peas require a lot of plant to produce enough to eat for many meals and have enough left over to freeze, but there are things you can do to help them produce more. First - choose a variety that is proven to grow in our area, then plant them as early as possible. I usually plant mine in late March or early April. The seeds will usually withstand a frost or two, but a hard freeze will greatly reduce the number of viable plants. Be sure not to plant to deep. That is a mistake a lot of folks make. Just about an inch below the surface is good, and plant more than you think you'll need. You can thin out the weaker plants that way. The one thing that I do that has helped more than anything is inoculating the seeds before planting. Inoculator can be found at most garden centers or seed stores. Just wet the seeds down and drain (I use a colander,) then put the seeds in a baggie. Pour enough of the inoculator in the bag to cover the seeds then plant as usual. One small bag of inoculator is more than most folks will use for a years worth of planting but I buy it new every year anyway, just for freshness. One thing to remember, too, is that beans and peas will produce all at once and only for a few weeks. Once it gets hot they'll stop producing and that's usually it. There may be a few stragglers that hold on until the cooler weather, but those don't produce well and the quality of their pods is decreased.

Great pictures everyone!!! I really liked the fence with the swing.

Michael sounds like you saved his life. I didn't know you could trim them thtat much!

OK, did everyone quit talking because I showed up? I am keeping multiple conversations going on several threads and no one is talking here much since I jumped in.. Where is that thread Zombie? I need that as my avatar..

Back
Top Bottom