***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Sharon I used to use 1x2 welded wire on our pens until I had a Phoenix and bantam Malay get into it through the wire. They broke most of the welds on the wire and it was just lucky that the Phoenix didn't escape the pen.

Now I am using hardware cloth over 1x2 welded wire. When I fasten the wire I will use the smaller poultry staples to hold it in place and then use a board over the top around the edges like a picture frame. On that board I use Gorilla Glue and plenty of screws to hold it in place.

Remember that a Mink or Weasel can go through a hole as small as a quarter when younger and 'coons are very smart and can open cages if given enough time so a hasp and lock is a good investment. Another trick that a 'coon will do is to grab a bird through the wire and literally eat the bird through the wire. Even though it is high the best bet is tin around the bottom of the pen.

Most predators can climb very well too so be sure to cover the top of the pen as well.

Still here, thought I was alone!

tongue.png

Sorry! Not ignoring the tread. Double checking recipes making. Grocery list-- got to have warm meals planned for the rest of the week

Tomorrow is planned leftovers

After that in no particular order
Bacon sandwiches served with creamy veggie soup -- dixie stampede recipe-- so yummy
Mexican chicken soup-- another yummy one, but this one has chicken-- so it will have a rooster that I butchered this weekend
Chicken & dumplings-- another rooster
By Saturday it should be warmer, so I will try to find some solid food to feed my family, meals on the weekends are your "easy" to prepare since we are working around the farm I don't slow down to cook for long-- crockpot or casseroles from my freezer usually.

Right now I have marshmallows in the dehydrator-- since that is a healthy snack right?
Plan on making apple pie filling, apple syrup & apple butter this wk. Imagine I will be out of apples by the time I finish.

I would love you forever if you would share that dixie recipe!!!
droolin.gif
I looked for that forever after we had it there but never could get one that actually tasted the same.

Quote:
Sharon I used to use 1x2 welded wire on our pens until I had a Phoenix and bantam Malay get into it through the wire. They broke most of the welds on the wire and it was just lucky that the Phoenix didn't escape the pen.

Now I am using hardware cloth over 1x2 welded wire. When I fasten the wire I will use the smaller poultry staples to hold it in place and then use a board over the top around the edges like a picture frame. On that board I use Gorilla Glue and plenty of screws to hold it in place.

Remember that a Mink or Weasel can go through a hole as small as a quarter when younger and 'coons are very smart and can open cages if given enough time so a hasp and lock is a good investment. Another trick that a 'coon will do is to grab a bird through the wire and literally eat the bird through the wire. Even though it is high the best bet is tin around the bottom of the pen.

Most predators can climb very well too so be sure to cover the top of the pen as well.

i second that Les, the first time i lost a duckling to a coon, all sympathy for those 'poor cute bandits' went out the window- chicken wire is to keep chickens in, not predators out- we have found have our dogs run at night has helped- one runs at nite and the other during the day, covering the run is important too...

Nope, I'm here, St-arl! While I have you here let me thank you guys for your generous offer of the Oxine last week. Even though we weren't able to go get it I want you to know how much I appreciate your generosity. I got mine today and Oxined the h*ll outof the place. If it honestly works as well as people claim then I love the stuff.
I'm still doing a lot of praying but so far my 7 remaining Cochins youngsters seem fine. Wattles & combs are all back to red and appetites are good. 3 of my daughter's chickens aren't doing so well though. Still only birds from these 2 pens were affected. I guess I'll never know exactly how they got exposed. This vet, Dr Zinn, is awesome. For my daughter's sick one today (since we're trying hard to save who we can) he let me just come pick up 7 antibiotic injections for the coming week for her, a Vit B injection and a dexamethasone inj all for only $24. I think he's incredibly fair and I'm so thankful to have found someone who knows chickens.

Quote:
Are you making my mothers "Chicken Surprise" (it didn't have chicken in it sometimes), or even worse "Whatever" which includes whatever you find in the cabinet, fridge, or freezer? Needless to say I started cooking dinner for the family at an early age.

Nope, made a turkey sausage and mixed veggie stew. The kids loved it. James went and bought himself a pizza.

Back
Top Bottom