***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Ithink you will find pigeons more soothing than chickens. I bred them in indivual pens so i know who is mating with who. Each pen is about 4 ft long, 2 ft tall and 2 ft deep. I have bred pigeons in pens like this for years and had good luck with them. I keep these pens in a building with concrete walls about six inches thick and it is easy to control temps. About dec 1 or so i will have timers set to give them about 14 hours of light so they should all be on babies around first of new year. Lahores are a big breed and to be competitive in the fall young bird shows one wants early birds banded so they will be bigger and more mature. When i get internet at home again i will post pictures, or if i get this tablet figured out i can upload pictures from it.

Ran around today with rocks in my pockets and was ready to tie rocks to the chickens too!!

Got an egg today that is a whopper...3 inches long and weights 3.35 oz. Compared to two other normal sized eggs at 2.15 and 2.25 oz. The egg was still warm but didn't see which hen got off the nest...wondered if I needed to bring the prep H to the hen house! Candled it but couldn't see anything...probably a double yolker.
23941_super_duper_egg_oct_25_2011.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
ouch!!! that is amazing!

well, we are still needing a serama taxi, but not for lack of trying...
smile.png

and a fun pic-

24037_spicerascal.jpg

spice(BO) is higher up in the pecking order, rascal is lower- anyway- so was locking critters up and here they sat... so naively i thought- hey they are pals... uhhh....actually the next move was a sound pecking from spice to the peon rascal....
th.gif
oh well.... shows i still have alot to learn

Last edited:
now its my turn to......

kill the thread......

ep.gif

ok, here's another question- what is necessary to qualify for a farm id? they are always asking me for one at the feed store....

Everyone busy tonight?

I have apple butter going in crockpot. Was gald tonight we had leftovers-- dh didn't get home until about 8 & he is still doing work on the computer.

Had my second double yolker hatch today. This time, same as last it hatches fully developed, but the other stopped developing early. Both that I have hatched have died with in a few hours. Took 19 healthy chicks out of the hatcher EE & RIR. Still have a few more hatching. Asked dh about putting the incubator & hatcher away in the shed. Said no reason to carry it out to bring it right back in. I was thinking out of sight out of mind.

Quote:
Farm tax I'd was easiest thing I ever did. Went to county assessors office. Told them I wanted one they pulled up my property info said be in the mail within 3 wks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Farm tax I'd was easiest thing I ever did. Went to county assessors office. Told them I wanted one they pulled up my property info said be in the mail within 3 wks.

so what would qualifications be? i have heard 40 chickens and a tractor?
hu.gif

Quote:

so what would qualifications be? i have heard 40 chickens and a tractor?
hu.gif

She didn't even ask-- she saw we had 20 acres & changed our address to a e-911 address in the system that was it. I would call your county, but I didn't have any issues.

If you need to borrow some extra chickens I am sure we could help you out!

Last edited:
IV ben watching predader,Nation on the hunting chan, Apple butter sounds great ill trade u a chicken for a jar...
artsy I went down an they gave me a paper to fill out an i turnd it in an they sent it in the mail..They did ask if i had a tractor an i told thim yes .. They never ask wat kind it was or anything ..So go down an give it a try,,It saved me money on my wel pump an pressure tank nails wire ...Dog food an rabbit pellet's dont count tho you still have to pay taxs on it..

Man i went out to day an wen i was feeding ..The bird's came runing up to me that mean's the hopper's are gone back in the summer the bird's running out never came in to eat much ,, The grass is gone to some of the bird's have ben crossing the road an scratching in the brush the winter grass is coming up now an they like it ..

Back
Top Bottom