***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Okla, you're just a hoot lol! You just keep that snow there where it is, I do NOT want any. I used to think it was so cozy and pretty to be snowed in since we've got the big generator now. But this year I have BIRDS that I love and I can't keep them in the house with me like I can the dogs. I'm going to feel really bad when our 1st ice storm hits and my babies are out in cold buildings
sad.png

700 lbs??? I bet he'd cut down real fast on birds if he wasn't getting it for so cheap. Sheesh, I wouldn't want to clean UP after howeve many birds eats 700 lbs of food.

Quote:
Ok I will try that and make sure he gets enough grit and watch him throughout the day.

Don't worry about grit unless he is eating grain...if you want to do something special for him, I give mine a little scrambled egg when they don't feel good.

He tried to crow, but it was kind of pathetic. I gave him some extra attention, he seemed to like that. I will try the scrambled eggs later. I'm going to buy him some feed in a little while. Any suggestions that I can get at Atwoods or Tractor supply?

Quote:
Okla, you're just a hoot lol! You just keep that snow there where it is, I do NOT want any. I used to think it was so cozy and pretty to be snowed in since we've got the big generator now. But this year I have BIRDS that I love and I can't keep them in the house with me like I can the dogs. I'm going to feel really bad when our 1st ice storm hits and my babies are out in cold buildings
sad.png

700 lbs??? I bet he'd cut down real fast on birds if he wasn't getting it for so cheap. Sheesh, I wouldn't want to clean UP after howeve many birds eats 700 lbs of food.

Send some to Lawton please!

Quote:
Don't worry about grit unless he is eating grain...if you want to do something special for him, I give mine a little scrambled egg when they don't feel good.

He tried to crow, but it was kind of pathetic. I gave him some extra attention, he seemed to like that. I will try the scrambled eggs later. I'm going to buy him some feed in a little while. Any suggestions that I can get at Atwoods or Tractor supply?

Don't buy a whole bag of feed just for BillyClyde. He will eat whatever you feed your other grown-up chickens. Just regular chicken feed.

Quote:

Don't buy a whole bag of feed just for BillyClyde. He will eat whatever you feed your other grown-up chickens. Just regular chicken feed.

Right now they're on the medicated chick starter. I have that and laying crumbles. I am going to put everybody but the chick that is still tiny on regular chicken feed. I will keep the chick on the starter.

Last edited:
Quote:

Right now they're on the medicated chick starter. I have that and laying crumbles. I am going to put everybody but the chick that is still tiny on regular chicken feed. I will keep the chick on the starter.

Tractor supply has a store brand feed 22% grower / conditioner it is manufactured for tractor supply by Purina and it is a good feed for any bird over 6 weeks of age. It is not too high in calcium, has a great deal of vitamins, minerals, a good mix of fesh meal, bone meal, and plant protiens. I do not use the feed but from what I have heard from others it does very well.
you will know when you are feeding the birds right they will develop thier bodies better, good feather condition, increased immunity, decreased feed consumption and increase production.

Well, I sure don't want to upset anyone and I don't want to run down a business, but I feel like I must throw in my 2 cent opinion on the feed from Guthrie Grains in Harrah.
I have bought the gamebird mix in bags there. 100 pounds each time. The first time the feed wasn't too bad but I did notice that my chickens didn't always clean up the corn. The second time I bought it there, I noticed that there was much more milo in the mix than anything else. I also checked the corn and found that a lot of the kernals were hollow or bad. I haven't bought feed there since.
I am not sure if I got a bad batch or they just sold me floor sweepings.
I want to try it again sometime because even in the bags it was a lot cheaper than anywhere else I know.
I will just advise to take the buyer beware mentality before driving a long way or buying lots of it.
Again I am not trying to bad mouth the business, just trying to offer an opinion from my experience.
At King's where I buy most of my feed, it is a little over $18 per 50 lb. bag.
I don't usually buy gamebird because of the cost but on occasion I buy it for my sons birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now that's food for thought. I'm glad you pitched in and appreciate it. I've got to say I've opened 2 bags now to put them in sealed buckets and there wasn't bugs in either one. I've had really bad luck with feed from everywhere else having bugs in it. One thing that bothers me is there's nothing stating the exact ingredients, protein %, etc. And I'm assuming it's a mixture of several different things without the vitamins/minerals added. I have to assume everything because there's nothing on the bag at all. The guy who ran the place in Guthrie couldn't even tell me any of that. The birds love it, but they love sheep poop, too lol

Monty - Good to see you! Are you going to the show in Shawnee? I've got a toppy X hatch roo who got loose as a juvenile. He's escaped possums twice, both times (literally) by the seat of his pants, which is why his tail feathers look so ragged in the picture. I can't get near him during the day, but at night he lets me pick him up to put him into a locked coop. He's learning
wink.png
Anyway, if your son would like him, I can bring him to Shawnee.

34274_toppy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom