***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.
    How far from this are you Wayne.

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Teva and I have been using the dry incubation for years. Usually a house will carry about a 40% humidity level, old trailers like we have about 30%, and it works great. There is a very good article about it here on BYC.

There is a very accurate way to monitor humidity throughout the incubation process. You keep a chat on how much the eggs weigh. Just pick out four or five eggs to do this with. An egg loses weight as they mature and there is a set percentage that they must lose. There are charts and cheat sheets to be found with a search.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Tried several times to get the new chicks to pose-- but they are not interested. Everytime I come close w the camera they scatter. Snapped a pic w my phone. I am sure everyone agrees even though the brown one came from an chocolate brown egg it isn't a pure copper maran. Think there was about 12 dz copper maran eggs from the same seller @ the Blanchard auction. Wonder how many others hatched out brown chicks. [​IMG]

4. Where do you keep the tank at? I'm guessing in a barn? I have a full outbuilding no room and probably not safe for chicks so I've been using the back bedroom in the house for them gets a bit dusty in there but I know nothing is going to get at them till they are big enough to at least run away if they can LOL

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Elwood I was just wondering how many different animals do you have. Off the top of my head geese, chickens, goats, pigs, guinea pigs, snakes, rabbits, bugs & dogs. I am sure I am missing something. Trying to imagine how you keep a full time job with all the animals & projects!

We are lucky to have the Marans. They are feather legged-- don't know if we would have bought them if I knew that -- our stickers are awful & I let the birds free range, feathered legs jus give stickers something else to stick too! We didn't buy the eggs for the birds. DD wants LOTS of chocolate brown eggs since they are the prettiest, so of course we HAD to buy the eggs when she saw them.

8. And Ducks LOL I don't like to be idle and am never bored [​IMG]

9. Good VERY Early Morning Everyone, I'm having one of those nights where sleep just may not happen at all I really hate them when I have to be at work at 7am they aren't so bad when I have the day off LOL I sure do wish I had the day off...

I was looking for a motor that I bought from an auction a couple years ago it's a half horse motor and can't for the life of me figure out where I put it I have the one that Christina gave me to use on the plucker and it would be too much for this project I need a smaller one to turn the grinder I just got that will make flour I think a half or third would be more than enough and a quarter horse would probably be enough so I need to disassemble a washer or dryer maybe for one in the next couple days and have that going by this weekend, I have about 20 tubs that I need to add ground feed to as a substrate for the mealworms then given a couple months I should have plenty to offer if anyone is interested in them. Most people use a course grain, Oats, Bran etc.. I have been grinding the bedding for them into a powder that will sift through a screen for about 22 years it makes harvest of large amounts of the mealworms a whole lot easier and a lot less waste of the food or substrate for them, Till I got this grinder I had to grind it 2 cups at a time in an old blender set to the fastest setting it works really well but takes all day or night to process 50lbs of chicken feed into the food/substrate for them. I make a set of different sizes screen filters to run them through when they are ready and it separates Frass from the babies and eggs and the medium and large into separate containers so I have some to sell, some to feed and some to continue raising to make more, it really isn't time consuming if you grind the bedding into the flour that will go through a standard window screen, For the bugs I am thinking that I can grind the cat food that it calls for into a powder and make it more readily available for them,

When I was at Tractor Supply yesterday I was looking at pully's and couldn't remember the sizes that I had or needed LOL I guess I need to take more notes or take the parts with me to the store LOL

10. I would say that I killed the thread but I did that earlier and now I'm here by myself with the exception of one guest lurker LOL and my guess is they aren't going to reveal who they are and just continue to lurk without posting LOL No matter though I'm glad your here and hope your having a better night than I am or at least up by choice and not just cause you can't sleep LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by