***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    I'd ordered an all-male assortment for deliver in early February, but somehow the hatchery lost my order, and rather than ship once the figured out the error, they sent a refund and asked that I place a new order. Mistakes happen. It's okay. It just sets my C plans back by a few weeks.

My first hatch was only four chicks, and if feather sexing works for Sussex, I've got three pullets. I can't tell with the Dark Cornish, but I wouldn't caponize a slow growing breed anyway. The second hatch was all EEs, and the third is Shamo and EE, so I think I'll be caponizing the majority of hatch #4, which is scheduled to hatch February 17. Hatch #4 is mostly Cornish X LF hens and NN X LF hens, so the cockerels will make great capons. I'd like to C the largest of hatch #4 when they are four weeks old, on or around March 16, so we should pick a day after that that fits well in your schedule. Sorry for the delay.

2. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    So sorry for your loss, Robin. He was so beautiful.

3. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Oh Robin, I am so sorry.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta

March will work too. I'll look at my schedule when I get home and see what I've got going on around mid March. I've been working on a tool idea, hopefully I'll have it complete by then and be able to see if it would work or not.

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    What makes you think it was coccidia? Seldom does it cause a problem for those over 6 months. Never count on "natural" stuff with something as life threatening as coccidia or any kind of parasite. Sulmet works great for coccidia and several serious respiratory diseases, it isn't "harsh" like some will have you believe. I'm so sorry you lost him, he was beautiful and I know how much you cared about him.

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I let all the birds out before I left for school. The chickens & peafowl both said it was too cold to go outside & play. The guineas don't seem to mind the cold. Think my guineas are preparing to lay. Found 1 pair in the coop all by theirselves. Last yr they would return to the coop to lay their eggs. Still haven't found any eggs from the guineas, but since the peahen has laid 2 eggs already I know the guineas should be laying soon.

I need to pot up some plants now & work on DD birthday invites. She turns 12 next Thursday-- we are taking a bunch of her friends to winter jam. Taking a bunch of teens & Tweens to a concert should be a memorable experience for all of us!

Coral my most recent hatch will be 6 wks old mid march. If you need some extra practice chicks they would be happy to volunteer. I seen some saying they are using super glue to help close up afterwards. Think that could be easier than stitching them-- unless you glue your self to the bird that is.......

7. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Sorry Robin-- I know you just got him recently. Was he showing signs of stress after being shipped?

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I've never had a bird shipped, so not sure what signs i should have been aware of- he did get a bath yesterday as i discovered his crest was inundated with mites, other than lethargy, diarrhea didn't see anything out of the ordinary- he was eating - don't know that i will have a bird shipped again... such a beautiful guy though!

9. bird/wire

bird/wire Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Coming out from lurker status (ya'll are universally informative and funny) to show you the coop we have been working on...[​IMG]

We are taking a break for a minute (3 weeks at least [​IMG]) while this weather blows through before finishing up the final details like sewing all the seams and putting in some more boards! and trimming up the wire and painting more! and moving the swing set and adding door pulls and etc. etc. Plus I cannot take the constant jamming of my air stapler gun...arrgh...someone besides me is going to have to fix it that thing this time! Also I am dreading the seam sewing, any tips/tricks? I am going to trellis the grapevine and wisteria you see behind there all crammed in up and over the end of the coop....cannot tell you the battles it took to keep certain non-gardening people (DH) from "trimming" those up [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  10. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Bird/wire, I love it! I wish it'd hurry up and get warm, I can't stand not being outside working on chicken digs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by