***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I really like that!!! Glad you decided to join our gang of merry chicken peeps!

2. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Bird / Wire that looks very nice. The birds look happy too! Dont worry, my DH can kill anything with the start of the mower or weedeater. I plan on putting mammoth sunflowers around my coops this yr. I was wondering today how I was going to get them started without my free range guineas destroying them. I haven't look into the temperatures that the sunflowers prefer, but luffa & snake gourds are still suppose to enjoy temps up to 95--- thinking of trying some of those too.

3. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.

I may be mistaken, but that looks to pretty to be a chickens house[​IMG]

4. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

So sorry to hear about your rooster.

Welcome out of lurking
    A lovely coop and run. Love the idea of the wisteria and grape vine canopy. As for "sewing the seams" what kind of wire screening are you using? 1 inch chicken wire mesh will allow you to use rabbit hutch J clips found in most hardware stores. The crimper pliers are inexpensive and very effective at closing the clip around the two wires. I make my cages, seam wire mesh, and attach mesh to stainless steel wire for support.
    If it isn't a large mesh..then make twist ie lengths of wire and every 6 - 8 inches wiretie the screens together. It looks like you have some overlap in your wire mesh...that would be useful for either method.
    Last suggestion is more costly...run strips of lath trim down a horizontal line and staple the screen to the lath. A line extending out the same height as the top of the nest box would look acceptable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    4 - 6 weeks is the optimum time to caponize. When we figure out exactly what day Kass and I will get together, I will let you know. I know super glue will hold skin, but I don't know enough about how it will work with chickens.

6. NanaKat

Poco..when the doctor removed my husband's trach tube, he simply used a surgical superglue and covered it with a layer of tape. He said leave it alone until the tape comes off; which it did in two days. Never needed a bandaid or anything else. Surely that glue would be available thru an online medical supply source.

7. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Robin, sorry for your loss. A bad infestation of mites can actually kill a chicken, especially if it has been stressed.

Beth, I know your delightful girls are great ambassadors for backyard chicken flocks.

Bird/Wire, I really, really like your coop and run!

8. NanaKat

Question
    Ginger and Fred have now produced their second egg. Since they have been together since purchased and he has "covered" her, will these first ever eggs be viable? Hubby thinks they may not have a yolk...I think the size is indicative of a good egg.

9. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Coral i would love to learn how to create capons.
    The guineas finally got fed up with the cold. They went back to their coop about 30 minutes ago.
    Working on dinner now-- tomato soup & grilled cheese. Soon as the girls walk through the door from checking on their animals they will be cold & hungry.
    I am thankful tomorrow is suppose to be sunny. Have to be at the school half of the day for valentines fundraiser the rest of the day I will be playing in the dirt.
    PTO is wanting to buy kindles for the classrooms. I am thinking it isn't such a good idea-- sounds like trouble IMO.

10. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.

I have set many first time eggs and had good luck with them. What breed is Ginger and fred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by