***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Everyone thanks for your support and offers of help.

Retiredarmywife, cool basket!

Ksane yes I live on I40 and would be on your way to Muskogee, that would be awesome to do the chicken train.

I would take a vacation day for POOPS, but had already put in time for several summer events and the NE OK chicken gathering before I knew the date for POOPS.

I would never order from Cedar Creek again and would never recommend them to anyone, and there is no excuse for the trouble I had getting them to contact me after they knew I had a problem and no excuse for the lack of communication that they were sending the chicks, and no excuse for the death rate I experienced, and the fact I did have pics of the dead chicks. That being said their site said they needed confirmation of mass death from the post office and the lady at the post office did not confirm the dead chicks, for the life of me I can't figure out why the lady is saying that, she couldn't have forgotten a box of dead and dying chicks in a span of a couple of days. I know the hatchery people don't know me from Eve and have no reason to believe that I am not lying to trick them out of more birds, but I still hate being called or thought of as a thief and liar (would be thief if I did succeed in getting the extra chicks if the ones I bought were still alive).

The other thing that annoyed me is he was very quick to state "You know we don't garuntee live delivery for small orders w/o upgrading your mailing, it is right there on the site" I had no idea and nothing was said at time of purchase, oh by the way do you want quicker mailing since these aren't garaunteed? I was paying $45 for shipping I assumed it was the fastest mail for that price (plus another 10 for a heat pack) All water under the bridge now I guess as there is little I can do about it, accept learn from the experience. Oh and the last one died.

I know the shipping time was longer then it should have been, but I have to think there is another issue w/ these chicks too, several acted strongish, eating and drinking at least, then suddenly just die or quit eating and die I think that is more then just shipping stress????

Okay rant over.

That is one seriously cool looking basket of chicken goodies!!!

Nathanael is at work with me today and being the book junkies we are we always go to half price books on our lunch. We found 2 cute books on chickens. One was called "Green Guides Keeping Chickens" for $4.99 and the other was a hardback called "The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens" for $9.98. Nathanael will probably pour over these all afternoon. Good thing he got all his school work done this morning, lol.

Anyone here know anything about barred rocks? We bought 12 at the last Newcastle auction, 11 of them are barring out white and black and growing well. One of them hasn't grown much at all and where the other chicks are barring white he/she is barring a goldish brown. I had to put it in with the week old chicks (he/she is 3 weeks old) because his hatchmates were running it over. But even the week old chicks will have outgrown it by the weekend. I just wonder if we got a banty mixed in somehow at the auction or if this poor thing has a genetic issue that is causing the growth problem and the weird feathering or what.

RetiredArmyWife - cute basket you made with all the chicken goodies in it.

Kass - I'm so sorry about your chicks and the horrible experience you've had with Cedar Creek Hatchery. I know know that I will never order anything from them. Now with the weather not cooperating with your gardening plans you're just having a run of bad luck, it sounds like. Maybe some of my bad luck fell out of the car when I was driving through Henryetta the other day. I'm sorry it found you.

Whoever was dealing with foxes (I don't remember who) - one of the neighbors at the lake house has caught several foxes the past few weeks in his live traps and he says there are still more around. He relocated the ones he caught, but don't know if they can find their way back like dogs can or not - or if there are just a lot of them around. Either way, there seems to be several folks dealing with them lately.

Old*Cowboy - sorry about your losses and injured birds, too. I hope you find out what's causing the problems and get it eliminated. Do you have a trail cam you can set out to see whatever it is? They have a time stamps on them so you can find out what time the predators are coming around. It might help you know when to go looking for it. Just a thought.

No one believed me about my opossum problem until I showed them the pictures from my trail cam.

I would never order from Cedar Creek again and would never recommend them to anyone, and there is no excuse for the trouble I had getting them to contact me after they knew I had a problem and no excuse for the lack of communication that they were sending the chicks, and no excuse for the death rate I experienced, and the fact I did have pics of the dead chicks. That being said their site said they needed confirmation of mass death from the post office and the lady at the post office did not confirm the dead chicks, for the life of me I can't figure out why the lady is saying that, she couldn't have forgotten a box of dead and dying chicks in a span of a couple of days. I know the hatchery people don't know me from Eve and have no reason to believe that I am not lying to trick them out of more birds, but I still hate being called or thought of as a thief and liar (would be thief if I did succeed in getting the extra chicks if the ones I bought were still alive).

The other thing that annoyed me is he was very quick to state "You know we don't garuntee live delivery for small orders w/o upgrading your mailing, it is right there on the site" I had no idea and nothing was said at time of purchase, oh by the way do you want quicker mailing since these aren't garaunteed? I was paying $45 for shipping I assumed it was the fastest mail for that price (plus another 10 for a heat pack) All water under the bridge now I guess as there is little I can do about it, accept learn from the experience. Oh and the last one died.

I know the shipping time was longer then it should have been, but I have to think there is another issue w/ these chicks too, several acted strongish, eating and drinking at least, then suddenly just die or quit eating and die I think that is more then just shipping stress????

Okay rant over.
I completely agree rant away!

Another good place to research or post your dealings with hatcheries, gardening supply catalogs is at Daves garden, under the watchdog forum, you have to sign up to post, but there is a lot of information good and bad about internet companies and companies in general.

I appreciate all the support over the chicks. The hatchery guy just called me stating he has been recieving e-mails all day, and several have gotten personal and threatening. While I appreciate all the support please don't let problems w/ a chick order get ugly.

I appreciate all the support over the chicks. The hatchery guy just called me stating he has been recieving e-mails all day, and several have gotten personal and threatening. While I appreciate all the support please don't let problems w/ a chick order get ugly.
Kass I seriously laughed out loud when I read this! Are all the emails about your chicks? Or dis they have other losses from the same hatch as yours? Sorry just trying to imagine who & how many people would send emails about chicks. I know we get emotional about our birds, but really? For the guy to contact you after all it took for you to get ahold of the hatchery!! The first chick of the day has hatched. Crazy thing is as I look through the plexi glass window I can't figure out what egg it came from! I want to open up the hatcher & investigate, but I am using all the self control I have to keep the door closed.

Kass I seriously laughed out loud when I read this! Are all the emails about your chicks? Or dis they have other losses from the same hatch as yours? Sorry just trying to imagine who & how many people would send emails about chicks. I know we get emotional about our birds, but really? For the guy to contact you after all it took for you to get ahold of the hatchery!!
The first chick of the day has hatched. Crazy thing is as I look through the plexi glass window I can't figure out what egg it came from! I want to open up the hatcher & investigate, but I am using all the self control I have to keep the door closed.

No appearently they were all about my order.

Quote:
No appearently they were all about my order.
Surprised they were all about your chicks, behold the power of the Internet! Have you asked your husband to visit the post office & speak with the lady about the chicks? Maybe she might remember more seeing him in person. My post office would never give me a problem like that, but my post office only has 2 full time employees & 1 part time. Not to hard to forget much when the population here is about 500. We will for sure do our best to get you chicks to poops. Promise it will be less stressful than what you went through this go around!

Back
Top Bottom