***OKIES in the BYC III ***

What all are people using the DE for? I know for bug control, but do you let the chickens dust in it?, or put it on them?
Hi lynnae1,
I'm not a pro chicken person, but we use DE for just about everything. We mix a bit in with crumbles (food grade only), we spread it out where there are ant hills, we put an occasional shovelful in the chicken run for them to dust themselves, and most importantly, we spread it all over the floor of their coop and use a solution of it to "paint" the sides and roosts. It is the handiest stuff ever!
smile.png

Christina! I just called the Tractor Supply in Sand Springs and she said they'll get some in for me, so please don't worry about the DE! Thanks so much for offering, though!

Robin - thanks for the suggestion to check at TSC!
Glad you found DE, the 50 lb bags are actually pretty small, so they don't take much space.
What all are people using the DE for? I know for bug control, but do you let the chickens dust in it?, or put it on them?

Welcome to BYC & to the OKIE forum. I let my chickens dust in the DE, I sprinkle it in the nesting boxes & on the floor in the coop. It helps dry the poop & is suppose to take care of any bugs on the birds while they dust in it. I am saying suppose to because bugs are so awful this yr.

!hello helllo hellloooooooooo, iiiii'mmmmmmm baaaaccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!

i'll hang out for an hour or so, then going to park it before i have any issues real or imagined.

mefordz is going to be a new,,,,,,,,,, person!

i hope this isnt too risque for anyone.

!hello helllo hellloooooooooo, iiiii'mmmmmmm baaaaccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!

i'll hang out for an hour or so, then going to park it before i have any issues real or imagined.

mefordz is going to be a new,,,,,,,,,, person!

i hope this isnt too risque for anyone.
i dont like it! you vill be removed to zee isolashun area untill furzer notice! you vill recieve no eplanation, only a warning and then zee isolashun area for you!!!

What all are people using the DE for? I know for bug control, but do you let the chickens dust in it?, or put it on them?  

I dust it on mine, put it in the nest boxes, and put it in their favorite dust bathing places outside. I've heard people feed it to their birds but I don't do that, because I think it needs to be dry to work, and the inside of a chicken isn't dry.

Back
Top Bottom