***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Wow how things have changed around here lol. Just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone that is still here and those that are new! Al if you read this send me your phone number and you too
Buckguy! Hope everyone has Blessed day!

I have a problem. I have a GLW that went broody. She's not the nicest of my girls (at all). And now that she's broody, she won't let anybody else in the coop. I've tried to check and see how many eggs she's sitting on and she bites me. I actually think the flock is happier with her not hanging out with them. How to I get her up to check the eggs? I have some fertilized eggs coming for her to sit on. I'm not sure if mine are fertilized. I don't think my rooster is old enough. Although I do have 2 male guineas that are old enough.

Also I'm finding eggs all around the yard since she won't let anyone else in there. What a turd! We're finishing the run as we speak and so that will at least keep the girls in there so they can lay somewhere where i can find the eggs.

I have a problem. I have a GLW that went broody. She's not the nicest of my girls (at all). And now that she's broody, she won't let anybody else in the coop. I've tried to check and see how many eggs she's sitting on and she bites me. I actually think the flock is happier with her not hanging out with them. How to I get her up to check the eggs? I have some fertilized eggs coming for her to sit on. I'm not sure if mine are fertilized. I don't think my rooster is old enough. Although I do have 2 male guineas that are old enough.

Also I'm finding eggs all around the yard since she won't let anyone else in there. What a turd! We're finishing the run as we speak and so that will at least keep the girls in there so they can lay somewhere where i can find the eggs.
I don't have much experience w/ that, that is Gary's job checking under a chicken for eggs broody or not I won't do it. But I think a pair of leather gloves and determination should do the trick.

Sorry to hear about the rough times that folks are having. Hope all works out for everyone. Kass, I don't know you but you certainly have my condolences.

Not sure who is stealing the hours from my day but I'd sure like them back. It seems like there is never enough time to get everything done.

Last night I did finally get some green beans, radishes and a few tomato plants in the ground. Hoping to get my other raised beds at least started over the next week. If I don't get it done soon I doubt I'll bother trying to plant anything in it this fall.

Trying to decide if the weather has broken enough to start looking for a few more birds. I have been wanting another 2-4 hens but didn't want to try to add them during the heat. I lost one bird a day after getting her and don't want to do that again.

SDS

Jen, lovely girl and lovely Brahma. One of my favorite breeds.

Just pick her up. She's probably only about 5 lbs and honestly-it doesn't hurt at all if they peck you-I swear. Go in with the attitude that you're the 130 lb human and she's the 5 lb chicken.
Is there any way to confine her to a dog crate so the others can get in the coop?

UPDATE: Lincoln County Sherriff Daughtery came by the house to visit with us about our situation with our crazy neighbor. We feel assured that there is a process in place that will safeguard our herd and the sanity of all our neighbors too. We will be contacting the Sherriff's department to file a report every time the Howell's bull is out and will help build a paper trail that can lead to possible charges. The Sherriff's department has many irons in the fire providing service to a large area on a limited budget. Sherriff Charlie Daughtery has our vote!" I posted this both here and on my Facebook page where there was a longer message so everyone could see that there has been positive progress made. We will be notifying our neighbors about the procedure in place.

I use a small towel to lay over the hen when I reach under her. I lay the towel on her and then hold her head gently. She sits much more quietly and I can slip my hand in quickly to gather the eggs. Also, leather gloves are good protection.
As for housing for your hen while she incubates eggs: A nice sized dog crate will searate her from the other hens who can then use the coop for egg laying. Let her out several times a day to exercise. Her food and water can be kept in her cage..
quenston, I don't know if Al lurks here on this thread, but I know he contributes to the old timer thread here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...l-up-a-rockin-chair-and-lay-some-wisdom-on-us
Great link Kass...don't know how I missed this one.

Jen-Hens...cute photo of your daughter and her new hen.

Jen hens, such a cute little girl, love seeing girls look like girls.

nanakat, I read that thread often, don't agree w/ all of the posters, and have to overlook the chest thumping sometimes, but there is quite a bit of practical down to earth ideas and practices.

Back
Top Bottom