***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hi all. I am diving into your plethora of knowledge once again. I am trying to determine which of my hens are laying and which are not. I am not set up to do any seperating or single enclosed nests or anything of the sort, but was wondering about marking them when they are in the nest so I can see which are laying and which are not. I wondered if I were to put a dab of nail polish on the top of their beak, would that hurt them any? That is the only thing I can think to do without scaring them, like with a paint marker. Any and all opinions and suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks,
Patti
On the Cochin thread they were putting dabs of food coloring on the hen's vents, a different color for each hen. Your get food coloring stains on your hand and have to repeat it every few days but when the eggs are layed each is streaked with the corresponding hen's color.
Sorry - I posted this before I saw Kassandra's answer.

Last edited:
Well, finally got a call from someone interested in the turkeys today. They are supposed to be by on Saturday to look at them. Hopefully we'll sell a few of them. Yeah!!

Can't wait for this warm weather that's supposed to arrive this week. Sure tired of the cold and cold and warm and then cold all over again crap. My plants don't like it either. At least the fruit trees had the sense to not bloom early this year like they did last year. Maybe we'll get a good crop of apples for once. The chickens managed to polish off my remaining artichoke plants I started from seed and babied for so long. I guess I'm just not meant to grow artichokes. Every year something happens to them. Sigh. Everything made it through the deep freeze last night thankfully.

Still haven't found the goats we want yet. We really can't get more than two because our space is limited. I keep holding out for waiting for more land but I don't think realistically that's going to happen any time sooner or later so I have to make do with what we have. I'm thinking maybe two pregnant pygmy's would be a good start ... or one pregnant and the other a female for company and to breed later.

What kind of turkeys you got? Dh wants turkeys

I just got off the phone with Marc and they are $400.00 a pair. He only sells juvenile pairs. I didn't ask him if he had any available because they are uhmmm.... $400.00.

Well you can buy 3-4 eggs online for about $100 but if they hatch after shipping you may get all pulleys or all roo's. I prefer the pairs, not that I'm quite ready to spend $400 just saying.

We only got 3 eggs today, guess the girls are on strike since the weather is cold.
Still waiting on Bambi to kid. She acted closer to normal today & spent a lot of time on her feet, still goin to check on her a few times tonight, just in case.

Yukon poultry auction out up a new ad on CL. Says there auction will be the 4th Saturday of each month. May have to check it out in April.

I am soooo tired I just want to lay down and go to sleep, but have been having asthma issues most of the night and can't lay down and breathe.

I am soooo tired I just want to lay down and go to sleep, but have been having asthma issues most of the night and can't lay down and breathe.
oh, sorry Hope you are feeling better. Since you are a Doctor who fan i thought this might make you feel better or give you a laugh (hope it is not offensive).
hide.gif

Last edited:
Kass hope you got some sleep & are feeling better.

We are staying home today on goat watch. I promise Bambi really looked as if she was having a baby Monday. Today the signs of early labor are gone. Glad she is waiting until it warms up, but hope she kids soon.

Back
Top Bottom