***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Monty, so sorry to hear about your Mom's heart attack. Hopefully she is improving under your watchful eye. Caring for aging parents is sometimes bitter sweet. My prayers include your family.

MJ, we will be pleased with any location and the get together will be a great opportunity for meeting some of the "new" folks.
Maybe some of the "old-timers" we haven't seen in a while will come around too. Thank you for stepping up to the plate so to speak.

Christina, I use chain link dog pen panels for several of my pens...they are great. Shade cloths over the tops offer shade as well as protection.

Happy Easter Everyone!

MJ any location you can find would be awesome. Who all will be at Newcastle next wk?? I am sure we can all talk about it then & split up the work load. Planning shouldn't be stressful & everyone should be able to relax enjoy the event. I hope Monty will share his knowledge since he knows what has worked & what hasn't.

Monty thank you for all you have done for us to have awesome chicken events! Hope your mom is having a good recovery.

Nana we don't have the shade cloths made for our kennel, just a repurposed trampoline mat. They work awesome & are free. Kennels really make a quick easy pen & are easy to find used.

I woke about 4 to the smell of smoke. DH had burned some tree limbs in the afternoon. Guess the fire rekindled. When I woke there was a 1/4 rick of oak that DH cut last yr on fire.The wood hadn't been burning long. The logs are just toasty looking on the outside. I am thankful I caught it, that oak would have burned for hours & the wind would have spread embers everywhere. Just had a short downpour so that will help too. Scary Scary Scary, so thankful it didn't spread worse.

Last edited:
Good Sunday morning to all! We managed to dodge all of the storms yesterday and had a great little road trip over near the Arkansas State line...about 240 miles there and back. Attended the Triple S Poultry swap, met some real nice folks, picked up a pair of birds and seen some beautiful country on a near perfect Spring day!

Easter is the only time of the year when it’s perfectly safe to put all your eggs in one basket.

I enjoyed visiting with everyone at the Triple S sale/swap in Westville Saturday. We had storms all morning, so I only took what would fit in the cab of my truck. Joe - wonderful to see you. Thanks for showing me around. I'm missing Orson. He used to follow me and talk to me as I filled water containers in the pens at the barn. He always got along with the others, so he had more free-range time. Andrea has a nice place. I'd love to bring birds on a dry day. . . maybe this event will happen again : )

Good Sunday morning to all! We managed to dodge all of the storms yesterday and had a great little road trip over near the Arkansas State line...about 240 miles there and back. Attended the Triple S Poultry swap, met some real nice folks, picked up a pair of birds and seen some beautiful country on a near perfect Spring day!

Easter is the only time of the year when it’s perfectly safe to put all your eggs in one basket.

I really wanted to go to that Swap, maybe next year. That part of the State is so pretty and chicken people are my kind of folks.

Now that the sun is up anyone have storm damage. News said egg size hail in Norman, imagine that didn't make for a good Easter surprise. We had cattle in the front pasture, so I know a tree came down on the fence somewhere. My surprise fire keeps starting back up, DH is moving some dirt around with the tractor & going to try & let the logs burn slow.

Not a South Park fan but those eggs sure are cute!

Anymore pics from the swap??? So sad it was too far for us to make the drive.

Now that the sun is up anyone have storm damage. News said egg size hail in Norman, imagine that didn't make for a good Easter surprise. We had cattle in the front pasture, so I know a tree came down on the fence somewhere. My surprise fire keeps starting back up, DH is moving some dirt around with the tractor & going to try & let the logs burn slow.

Not a South Park fan but those eggs sure are cute!

Anymore pics from the swap??? So sad it was too far for us to make the drive.
Here are a couple more pictures from the swap.
The boys were engaged in a conversation with Todd. I wish my students would be as attentive.

This little hen posed for me. She was trying hard to talk to me, but I couldn't understand her. Sure was a pretty little thing.

This little hen was soooooo pretty.

OK! Looks like today I am able to post pic again...
celebrate.gif

Since you all were talking about planting......here are a few pictures of my chicken house yard and also of my dove house.

This inside the Silkie pen...large gourds hanging through the chicken wire top. Makes tons of shade!
Clunked my head too many times to admit!

This dove pen with "sleeper" from semi truck [hubby is a trucker!"]
This a purple bean Hycinth [spell?]

Silkie pen on outside. Talk about shade!

sorry these are out of order, I'm just proud I got to post them at all!
Silkie yard start of season

Dove house and pen.
Gourds are fun to grow and make lots more than you will ever need, I make bird houses from mine and I noticed that Kathryn does also.
The birds love them. I have wrens all ready this yr.
A few yr back the gourd vine got over to the trees and grew over 20 ft tall and gourds were hanging waaaaay up there in the tree. Looked like a "gourd tree!!!"
Otherwise you can "train" them where you want.

Back
Top Bottom