***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I was wishing I had a camera at work with me a couple days ago I stepped out on the back dock and counted 18 hawks at one time flying around I'm sure there were more but the building blocked most of the view, There are some wild pigeons that live there and they were keeping a low profile all day long.. I knew they migrated but had never seen them in a group before I don't know where it is in the south that they all go but I bet all the chickens there are raised in a covered pen LOL

BirdWalk, I love all your gray girls! Are they Cochins?
I don't know about a Coweta auction but this is the weekend for the Newcastle auction. As far as I know they'll have one. I was sort of planning on going. Your Silkies are very pretty, they're one of the best breeds IMO.
ChknObssd-are the Bantams girls? I have Bantam Ameraucanas and they're wonderful. Maybe you can wait to see if it's a problem before deciding. I've had big roosters in with bantams before without a problem but there were plenty of bigger girls also. Sometimes the bigger one tear the little ones up *less because of the smaller size, they can't dig their spurs into them as easily as they do bigger hens. I'd definitely wait to see if it's even going to be a problem.
Bill-Hi! How have you been? I've still got the Orp girls and they're very very nice hens! I lost one (the day after worming so it made me wonder if it was related to the worming). 2 of them turned out to be boys but I found homes for them where they actually wanted them for pets and not dinner. They also took 2 really mean roos I had-THOSE were going to be dinner. 1 of them laid my head open so I didn't feel much regret that he was going for food :-/

Hey guys! I have a hormonal duck on my hands. These drakes are both 6 months old. I have chickens and one of them keeps assaulted my hens and roos. I have been keeping them separate but I can tell it's affecting their quality of life. I'm hoping someone might be able to give them a good home... any takers? Tulsa area

ChknObssd-are the Bantams girls? I have Bantam Ameraucanas and they're wonderful. Maybe you can wait to see if it's a problem before deciding. I've had big roosters in with bantams before without a problem but there were plenty of bigger girls also. Sometimes the bigger one tear the little ones up *less because of the smaller size, they can't dig their spurs into them as easily as they do bigger hens. I'd definitely wait to see if it's even going to be a problem.

Yes I believe they are both girls, however one does concern me a little.... Thank you--I was hoping that they could co-exist. I will def keep my eye on them and wait it out.

My next question however is, what size egg is my Banty Ameraucanas going to produce? Excuse my ignorance, but would a very tiny egg be edible still ? Nothing different bout them but the sizes, correct?

Ksane They are blue Orpingtons , alittle faded from the summer , and there is a blue Marans hen , she is somewhat smaller than the Orps . Buffy the bantam roo was supposed to be a hen . Love the Silkies .

Glad to hear there could be an auction at Newcastle this weekend . I have 7 large 4 month old Silver Penciled Wyandotte roos , several Lavender Americanas , D'uccles that need new homes .

Last edited:
ChknObssd, they lay a Silkie-sized egg. It takes 2 of them to equal a normal sized egg. Nothing different other than the size. And they're pretty blue.

BirdWalk-don't let me buy your boys! Roosters are my weakness. I just counted and I have *25 here!

ChknObssd, they lay a Silkie-sized egg. It takes 2 of them to equal a normal sized egg. Nothing different other than the size. And they're pretty blue.

BirdWalk-don't let me buy your boys! Roosters are my weakness. I just counted and I have *25 here!

Oh but they would have such a good home !!
smile.png

I was wishing I had a camera at work with me a couple days ago I stepped out on the back dock and counted 18 hawks at one time flying around I'm sure there were more but the building blocked most of the view, There are some wild pigeons that live there and they were keeping a low profile all day long.. I knew they migrated but had never seen them in a group before I don't know where it is in the south that they all go but I bet all the chickens there are raised in a covered pen LOL
lau.gif
, very funny but kind of not,
fl.gif

Ksane They are blue Orpingtons , alittle faded from the summer , and there is a blue Marans hen , she is somewhat smaller than the Orps . Buffy the bantam roo was supposed to be a hen . Love the Silkies .

Glad to hear there could be an auction at Newcastle this weekend . I have 7 large 4 month old Silver Penciled Wyandotte roos , several Lavender Americanas , D'uccles that need new homes .

Did someone say "Lavender Ameraucanas"? No, no, no...... must resist.
I will be going to Newcastle this coming Saturday. Looking forward to seeing any of you fellow chicken fans.
Jack, my neighbor and "Chicken Mentor" has some young Wheaten Marans available if anyone is interested. - Pretty birds.
I am starting a pen of Blue Marans and I think I am going to like them a lot. They are friendlier than Ameraucanas. My Cochins are still my one true love though.
My Blue Marans rooster, Beaudreau - He is standing alert in this pic but is usually so mellow and relaxed. He and Dagwood, my Wheaten Ameraucana Roo in the next pen, like to fuss at each other but Beau is just a sweetheart to everyone else. Moonpie, the bantam Buff Cochin roo on the other side still thinks he is boss even though Beau and Dag are both much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom