***OKIES in the BYC III ***

has anyone checked thte persimmon seeds for the winter weather this year? here is what ours look like, knives? mean icy??

my two guineas hatched, and mama olivia is raising them- they sure are cute little fuzzballs

I wish we had more acreage. Then I would get more guineas. They are really growing on me. I am really amazed by their strange beauty and their comic behavior. I don't know if I will keep my one. It is so loud and my neighbor's house is too close. I am still not sure if it is female. I could swear I heard the two-part call but haven't heard it lately.

sounds like a golden delicious apple....very good apples and thin skinned

These were rather round, not tapered in shape.The skin was completely yellow when ripe and almost translucent but kind of tough. We peeled them if we ate them raw. I also remember the trees were bi-annuals; only produce big crops every other year.

I love that color! They're so dang expensive just for shipped eggs though. What are their personalities like?
So far they are very timid. But they spent two days in shipping so I am just leaving them alone for a few days so they can settle down in the quarantine pen.

Dang, now how did you do that? That is my ultimate want bird. I love the color. Sooooo expensive though.
Frank
I expected the bid to go out of my price range, I just got lucky. Still a boatload of $$$ for chickens- but I'm hoping it pays off next year.

If you ever need an extra roo I have a few extra
barnie.gif
lol

I will definitely keep that in mind! My little boy is only about 7 weeks old, and a lot can happen between now and maturity!!!!! Makes me nervous to only have one. You know how it goes- if you only have one something will happen to it, but if you have several backups they will all thrive!

No idea on prices for apples. We pick at a friends house in exchange for eggs and apple butter. That's my kind of pricing.

Goats got out today. It was pretty funny. Artemisia went back in the yard easily but Vincent found a tree and ran circles around it from us all the while grabbing mouthfuls of whatever he could grab to eat. He ate several of the Mimosa seedlings from our neighbors tree that we hate so I was thrilled. I don't have to spend time cutting them out now!

My Mother-In-Law's billy knew which flowers were her favorites and stoped to eat just those when ever he escaped, which was a regular event.
No wonder they are associated with the Devil!

No idea on prices for apples. We pick at a friends house in exchange for eggs and apple butter. That's my kind of pricing.

Goats got out today. It was pretty funny. Artemisia went back in the yard easily but Vincent found a tree and ran circles around it from us all the while grabbing mouthfuls of whatever he could grab to eat. He ate several of the Mimosa seedlings from our neighbors tree that we hate so I was thrilled. I don't have to spend time cutting them out now!

My Mother-In-Law's billy knew which flowers were her favorites and stoped to eat just those when ever he escaped, which was a regular event.
No wonder they are associated with the Devil!

All of my chickens are dead because someone left Merlotte outside all night. We suspect my grandma, (who has Alzeihmer's) but I know it wasn't me. Anyone need grit, organic conditioner, organic soy-free feed, organic soy-free scratch, mealworms, sand, pine shavings, a feeder, fount, etc.?

All of my chickens are dead because someone left Merlotte outside all night. We suspect my grandma, (who has Alzeihmer's) but I know it wasn't me. Anyone need grit, organic conditioner, organic soy-free feed, organic soy-free scratch, mealworms, sand, pine shavings, a feeder, fount, etc.?

Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

Even more sorry about your gma's having alzheimers, my gma did too.

Sorry to hear that.
:hugs

Even more sorry about your gma's having alzheimers, my gma did too.

It's okay. Actually there are 2 still alive. We found 2 dead and assumed the worst, but I would still rather find them a home(s). It's too chaotic around here - too many people wanting to do things their way. Maybe in the future.

UnklJim, glad you're getting eggs :) I was so glad to start getting my 1st eggs. Then after i got the incubators it sorta ruingh it for me. Now I feel like I'm eating my grand-chickies :-/

Robin, the Guineas are sooooo cute!!! I can't believe what a pain in the behind they are lol I'm considering hatching odd colored Guineas and Marans because those are 2 of the birds I don't care to keep but everyone else wants them so they'd sell good. That way I could still hatch but not want to keep any.
I did a very very bad thing.....asked someone if they had Silkie eggs then didn't want to back out when they said yes. That generous breeder sent me *29* Silkie eggs :-0 I had to get the 2nd incubator out to have room. Then i figured, "Well crap.....now I still have space in the 2nd incubator." So I gathered up some eggs from around here-Cochin/Orloff cross and Cochin/Ameraucana cross and Silkie/Araucana cross. 40 eggs in the incubators. In September lol This is what happens when someone with OCD doesn't hatch for 14 months. I'm going to lose some and it's going to hurt. But OMG i love baby chicks!

This is one of my worst fears, I'm so sorry. I've got 12 dogs that would snap chicken necks way quicker than i could stop them. Fences and hot wires all over the place here. My dogs would never 'learn' to leave the chickens alone, I'll never trust them.
I'm moving birds for winter and still have the white frizzle bantam Cochin boy that I either need to place or find a winter pen mate for. So I'm looking for a pair of girls. I have lots but this sounded like a really good excuse to get 2 more.
Teganoid, where are you? What breed are your 2 girls?
Edit: I'm sorry, I just saw you had a sick one. I just can't risk it with all the ones I've lost to illness. I think I'll just put my 2 Cochin bantam girls in with the Frizzle boy.

Last edited:
Quote:
I will definitely keep that in mind! My little boy is only about 7 weeks old, and a lot can happen between now and maturity!!!!! Makes me nervous to only have one. You know how it goes- if you only have one something will happen to it, but if you have several backups they will all thrive!
that is a fact, I have 7 cockerals of various ages, three are about yours' age. after several purchases, I finally have 6 pullets but I dont need that many males...lol. Did papa say what line yours are from?

here is a pic of one of my oldest...they are 5 1/2 months

Back
Top Bottom