***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Shawnee Show . All show show cages down and stored:
You all did a great job this Don! Thanks so much!!!
clap.gif

I asked the same thing when I saw Lavender Ameraucanas being shown. It was explained to me they could compete against each other for Best in Variety but could not compete for Best in Breed as they were not an accepted color. I guess that's how you get the word out about a new color variety until you have enough "critical mass" to hold a qualifying meet for acceptance into the APA's Standard of Perfection book.
I saw those Lavender Ameraucanas too, and I want more... There was a hen and even though she only placed 3rd she was number one with me.. I bought a breeders list and am going to start calling people for birds I am looking to add to my flock..

And I really like this Malay pair's personalities, super gentle and calm. He sounds like a cow mooing when he crows, I've never heard such a loud deep crow from a rooster before :-O He's molting and covered in pin feathers, this is one of the breeds that has bare spots on their breast and legs also. So he looks pretty prehistoric. I don't know enough about coloring to know if this girl is colored right or wrong or what, but I think her color is awesome. It's almost a black laced wheaten color. They look sort of mean but they're not a single bit mean or flighty at all.
Did you see that ginormous Mayal rooster at the show??? Holy cow he was big..
ep.gif
Seemed very friendly, every time I called him "big rooster" he would purr at me.. Are they other bird friendly???

Un recognized varieties can only compete with the variety but can be and are shown. It is common with the game breeders to have a best Un-recognized so all of the non-standard birds can at least compete each other and outside the variety.
Standards acceptance is a lengthy process for APA, ABA is much quicker and no where near as stringent. Either way the breeders working on the birds must get approval and letters of recommendation from the breed club, write and prepare their own color standard, pay a considerable fee then the standards body sets the show locations (2) and the minimum number of birds, breeders, and exhibitors must be present
That is good to know... My goal one of these days is to have the Americochin recognized.. One can only dream!!!
fl.gif

We have had a big tom wondering around for a while. He must be a pet because he looks well cared for and hasn't messed with my neutered female or any of my flock. One day I glanced out toward the coop and saw something that didn't quite fit, I did a double take and sure enough there he was (he's a big guy too) right smack dab in the middle of the flock just chillin! We also found him looking for a warm place to sleep one night, when we went to close up! I'm a little concerned about Spring chicks but so far he doesn't seem to be much trouble!
My cats are protective of the birds, even the chicks.. I think the cats understand where eggs come from and when there is surplus or dirty eggs they get them...

Got a little rest last night and finally feel alive! I do so enjoy the Shawnee event mainly because of the wonderful friends I get to visit with and the new friends I make! I had the good fortune of having wonderful NanaKat and her great husband (Kathryn and Roger) step right up and help me bring my chickens in and set them up almost from the moment I arrived!

I continue to be impressed with chicken people and their children! I'm still struggling with names--can remember faces, but names get confused in my feeble mind!
It was great to see you Betsy, as always!!!

hi to all my okie friends, I just joined the byc last week and am glad to find people who enjoy chickens as much as I do.
welcome-byc.gif
Okie style!

Ordered an incubator last night.........Hmmmm........Now we'll have to come up with another coop or something. LOL!
Ohhhh!!! You are so in trouble!!!! Think Lays potato chips X10 and then you came to a site with other people who are not only addicted but enablers, as well....
So what are you planning on hatching???
pop.gif

can you put an mini SD card in your phone if so you could transfer your photos to the mini SD card then put it in your computer and them upload them.
mine has a slot for one under the batterie
Maryjo like myself have sold our souls to the devil and have IPhones..... So no SD cards for us!!!
somad.gif

hehehe!

Any sweet potato lovers out there? I made this for breakfast for my dad this morning. Very good! http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/5928
Ahhh, where is mine????
tongue.png

A short video of my Tuzo......
They did not seem to like you videoing them... Probably think you are trying to steal their souls....
lau.gif

Everyone's been busy. Love the photos.

Shelbydog - your feather-legged guy is warm and full. He gobbled half of the baby crumble I put in his feeder. When I checked after closing the rest of the pens, he was asleep with his head under his wing. He's a happy little guy.

Welcome to Cac6012!

Love those Tuzo EG

Have had two one hour naps this afternoon and evening. Spent the night in Edmond after babysitting the little grandsons. They were finally in bed by 8:30 pm after storyline and giggle wrestling and songs. Was awakened at 5:30 am by the six year old grandson and we had a deep conversation about the sun being stationary and the earth revolves around the sun making night and day....and about super two sabre swords in StarWars...and then he snuggled to sleep . The three year old joined us at 6:30 giggling and farting.."s'quz me" and bursting into more giggles.

Roger took care of the chickens this morning for me. Norman the calf is doing great with him mom now. She lets him nurse anytime he wants and follows him around the lot when he decides to get frisky and run and buck. Caught him chasing a chicken that went to explore the manure/compost pile...so funny.

Ordered an incubator last night.........Hmmmm........Now we'll have to come up with another coop or something. LOL!
Oh goodness your in for it then! You will have the bug! I just hatched my first batch a week ago and I can't wait to incubate some more in the future! Good luck to you and enjoy the experience! I keep telling myself I need to limit my number but it is so hard when you see different breeds and colors. My husband said only 8 hens and well... were now planning on another coop.
hmm.png

Is there any way that I might be able to get a copy of that breeders list you all got from the show? If you take a picture of it then maybe I can just zoom in and get the info instead of typing (save your fingers lol)... I am still thinking of adding a whole lot more to our flock. Oh goodness were going to have too many chickens...

Quote: I didn't know that about IPhones, because obviously i don't have one, that really stinks you would think it would have one since it so high tec and all.

Last edited:
Is there any way that I might be able to get a copy of that breeders list you all got from the show? If you take a picture of it then maybe I can just zoom in and get the info instead of typing (save your fingers lol)... I am still thinking of adding a whole lot more to our flock. Oh goodness were going to have too many chickens...

The list just has the exhibitor number, their name, address, and phone. Do you know any of the exhibitor numbers of the breeds you were interested in? I'd be happy to copy down the info if you know which breeder you wanted to contact. Otherwise the list doesn't do you a lot of good unless you just go down calling each one to ask which breeds they sell. It is about 2 1/2 pages long if I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom