***OKIES in the BYC III ***

In that case I would talk to the neighbors that don't have a problem with it, and forget Mrs. Cranky Pants for a bit!
D.gif
If she lives across the street she may not notice, then once your flock is laying eggs, I would (in neighborly fashion!) bring her a nice dozen by way of introducing your new girls to her!!!!
lau.gif

As far as the coop thing I'm betting the others on this thread can offer more assistance than I can (We already had a HUGE coop on our property!)

BAHAHA! That is a great idea! :0)

Actually I agree about it being apullet. I didn't even notice that and just assumed it was a boy because True said it was. Does certainly look like a girl if its a Cochin. An 8 month old Cochin boy would have a huge honking comb. Does he crow? I bet it's a girl.
I wondered that because I couldn't tell him/her apart from the other two except the comb and waddles were larger. The auctioneer said trio so I assumed this was a boy. Either way I had to find someone who knew chickens to help the feet. So boy or girl I am happy for artsyrobin to have him... her... it. As for age the only thing I can tell you is that if they are 8 mo old the "girls" haven't laid anything yet.
Didn't think or know he/she lost any toes. Toe nails were all messed up though.
Maybe you all could tell me if these look like pullets then. Because now I'm wondering.

And some candid photos for this morning. I feel like the mom who has a wallet full of pics that has to show off the kids...
big_smile.png

Bantam Cochin chick Thorin and other orp (no name yet) Bantam Cochin pullet

Jenny my daughters LO

love.gif

Last edited:
Yes, my husband is the president. The covenants were never voted on and passed or filed with the county. Essentially, they do not gripe about the business being conducted on neighborhood property that is against the covenants, or the outbuildings that do not look like the houses that are against the covenants, or the other infractions - only chickens - and that is because I tried to do the right thing and get the covenant changed to allow them. Their argument (literally) was this, "It is a slippery slope! Chickens now, what next, a cow? A pig? A goat?"
I would just get a small coop with a few hens and no rooster. I just know the old bitty would probably complain about the crowing. On warm days I have never smelled my neighbors coops before I even had mine and both on each side of me have a lot of chickens. I wont even go into detail about the neighbor on my left. He's such a grump... and that's me putting it VERY nicely. In fact its actually a complement to what level of wrong that he is. So anyway, Just a few chickens never hurt anyone. I guess if anyone does the "what next" thing just assure them that you won't be getting anything else. Do the "besides, my yard isn't big enough" comment. That might shut them up. Sure they will complain behind your back but it is your right to have them and don't even tell them when you get them. Quietly let them be in your yard and after a time has past they will "I thought you were getting chickens" and say "They have been there for weeks now", they will see how they were over reacting. But this is all just suggestion. I hope it all works out for you because I just love having my flock. I have never enjoyed any animals as much as I have chickens. Good luck!

@TRUE5 I am in love with her, and i think yours are girls too- from what i have read, by 8 months you should see a large comb and wattles- my guess is maybe she is closer to laying than the others, but they all need to add to weight on them- i so appreciate her!

@TRUE5 I am in love with her, and i think yours are girls too- from what i have read, by 8 months you should see a large comb and wattles- my guess is maybe she is closer to laying than the others, but they all need to add to weight on them- i so appreciate her!
I know she was set out to be a "he" but I hope you want a hen instead. SURPRISE! Lol! I wonder if the people who set them in the auction knew what they had. Makes me want to go to those things and rescue them all!!!!
She already looks spoiled and loved! I'm so happy you love her! I hate to drown you and everyone else with questions but do you do anything different with feed to add weight on to them? Maybe up the protein or something? I was just curious because they are so thin. Especially after feeling my other chicken's breast then feeling the new girls', I can tell a world of a difference! Poor little Cochins.

Why does the chicken cross the road?

I don't know, but somebody needs to tell them to stay put. Pulled out my area on highway 20 this morning and the prettiest roo was pecking at the side of the road. You know I pulled over and tried to catch him, but he wasn't having any of that! Hope he doesn't get hit.

True, yours are girls also. Cochin boys are really easy to sex by the time they're a few months old-certainly by 3 months old and that Buff one Robin has is definitely older than that from the looks of it. My girls are just now starting to lay again since their molt and all the cold weather. So I would expect yours will, too, once they settle in.
They quite possibly have worms. Get some fenbebdazole (Safeguard horse wormer paste). It's easy to find at any feed store, some Walmarts even carry it. It's hard to overdose any animal on the stuff, it's real safe. Give each bird about an inch long ribbon of it, Bantams gets 1/2 that. Then be *sure* to repeat it 10 days later to kill the worms that have hatched from the eggs in their system. The wormer can't kill the eggs, just worms. So we give the remaining worm eggs 10 days to hatch and re-worm to kill those newly hatched ones inside their intestines. I hope I made that clear, sometimes I over-explain and get confusing.

I need some expert advice please
A week or so ago I noticed some pin feathers on the back of one of my RIRs. I just thought maybe she was getting picked on, and choose to keep an eye on her (that's about all I CAN put on those hatchery RIRs anyway
he.gif
). What I thought was odd though was that I hadn't noticed a bald spot just the sprouting feathers. Well today I noticed the same thing on several RIRs and JG. They are 9 months old so I wasn't expecting a molt this year.

Here are some pics. Sorry they kinda suck.....

So here's the weird part (at least I thought so!) these spots are only on my JG and RIRs, and they are all in the same spot (above tail) with the exception of the RIR above.

So what could I be dealing with, molt, mites, pecking.......any advice?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom