***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I'm not going to quote anyone but...
Geez, yes. I'm done with the cold already. I look forward to complaining about being too wet.

Instincts often trump logic.

I love the camp letters.

Now, who here has Orpingtons? Chicks or eggs. I want some funk in my flock...Crele, cuckoo, chocolate, etc. I'm about to breakdown and go Internet shopping...

you have jubilees already, right? I've got mottleds, too. Just talked with someone up in Nowata today that is TOTALLY into Orps, said they have B/B/S, red, gold-laced, etc. Want their number?

Coral, these really make my day! Best thing I've read in ages! I miss my sweet boys. Do they get cuddled?

you have jubilees already, right?  I've got mottleds, too.  Just talked with someone up in Nowata today that is TOTALLY into Orps, said they have B/B/S, red, gold-laced, etc.  Want their number?

Sure! Nowata's a ways away from me, but it can't hurt. Yes, I have Jubilees, and I hatched some mottleds a few weeks ago. And I have a few other colors. I'd take 2 of everything if I could get my hands on them. :)

Rhonda, only have the JO I bought from you last summer but have eggs in the bator now. JO and BCM on RIR and Marans (I hope). My first time hatch.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere on BYC, depending on the breed, that either the male or females babies will grow wing feathers or tail feathers faster in the begining the the other. So you can some times tell males from femailes that way. Is there any truth to that?

Sure! Nowata's a ways away from me, but it can't hurt. Yes, I have Jubilees, and I hatched some mottleds a few weeks ago. And I have a few other colors. I'd take 2 of everything if I could get my hands on them.
smile.png

Chicken train! My dad lives in Nowata and it's not that far for me. If someone is willing to meet up on the turnpike and get them to closer to you i'm game. I would love to pick up some Orps for myself.

I thought I read somewhere on BYC, depending on the breed, that either the male or females babies will grow wing feathers or tail feathers faster in the begining the the other.   So you can some times tell males from femailes that way. Is there any truth to that?

In 90% of my LF Cochin chicks and 100% my Brahma chicks the girls feathered out nice and full while the boys were still bald with stubby wing and tail feathers. You could start seeing the difference as soon as the wing feathers started coming in.

In 90% of my LF Cochin chicks and 100% my Brahma chicks the girls feathered out nice and full while the boys were still bald with stubby wing and tail feathers. You could start seeing the difference as soon as the wing feathers started coming in.

I believe this to be true too, with Orps. I read somewhere though that it has to be a slow feathering momma with a fast feathering dad to produce the opposite in chicks. BUT I also read some breeds carry this on their own. Made no sense to me unless they carry different genes to get their feathering...which shouldn't be possible. My Jubilee set I'm growing out right now is confusing the daylight out of me. Some are fast feathering but have no wattles to speak of yet, etc. last year, I pegged mine by about 3 weeks!

Chicken train! My dad lives in Nowata and it's not that far for me. If someone is willing to meet up on the turnpike and get them to closer to you i'm game. I would love to pick up some Orps for myself.

It's worth a shot. Let's see what little fluffy butts she's got and then go from there. I don't mind meeting on the turnpike. :)

I believe this to be true too, with Orps. I read somewhere though that it has to be a slow feathering momma with a fast feathering dad to produce the opposite in chicks. BUT I also read some breeds carry this on their own. Made no sense to me unless they carry different genes to get their feathering...which shouldn't be possible. My Jubilee set I'm growing out right now is confusing the daylight out of me. Some are fast feathering but have no wattles to speak of yet, etc. last year, I pegged mine by about 3 weeks!
It's worth a shot. Let's see what little fluffy butts she's got and then go from there. I don't mind meeting on the turnpike.
smile.png
I will have to keep that in mind and watch the little ones as they start to feather out. So far out of the 11 Jubilee eggs that went into lockdown, I have 7 babies out and two more eggs pipped.. I bought some lavender orpington eggs off of ebay and hatched out 5 and they are 5 weeks old now and all 5 look like roosters...ugh. They already have combs and wattles..

Back
Top Bottom