***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I will have to keep that in mind and watch the little ones as they start to feather out.  So far out of the 11 Jubilee eggs that went into lockdown, I have 7 babies out and two more eggs pipped..  I bought some lavender orpington eggs off of ebay and hatched out 5 and they are 5 weeks old now and all 5 look like roosters...ugh.  They already have combs and wattles..

That a pretty decent hatch rate! I got a couple lavender chicks (one is feathering fast, the other slow) from a nice lady, Norma Wood, from the Ardmore area (if you're interested in more. She's on Facebook.

@lonnyandrinda PM me with the Orp breeder's contact info when you get a chance, please.

And, just because, my large fowl Cochins...

Coral, these really make my day! Best thing I've read in ages! I miss my sweet boys. Do they get cuddled?

They all get some cuddling after they are finished at the food dish in the morning. I don't want to keep them from eating, so I wait until they've lost interest in the mess hall. In the afternoon, they get some football-carry time, to check out the sillies who want to walk around in the snow. Phtheven shivered the first time we did a walk-around, so I tucked him into my coat. We walked around the barn, filled a feed bucket, walked to the layer house, topped off the feeder and waterer, and then walked back to the camp pen. Phtheven was sound asleep, with his head tucked under his wing, and I felt guilty taking him out of my coat. I slid him into his cabin as gently as I could. He looked up, once, and then tucked his head back under his wing. His brothers peered into the cabin and decided to let him sleep. They shared an afternoon snack and then sat shoulder to shoulder on the roost. I forgot to take my camera out this morning, so I'll make a point of visiting them for photos and a letter-writing session after lunch.

Does anyone have blue laced red wyandottes?

I used to have several that I got from Carl when he had them. The only one left is the one I got from Atwoods several years ago. She is a splash.

It is certainly cold! We had a chicken hawk take down a sparrow in the main chicken run. We flushed him out and shut the gate. The chickens haven't ventured out with all the snow.
The hawk has done a good job scaring off the starlings too.

Chicken train! My dad lives in Nowata and it's not that far for me. If someone is willing to meet up on the turnpike and get them to closer to you i'm game. I would love to pick up some Orps for myself.

Can I ride this train? I've fallen in love with my orps.

They all get some cuddling after they are finished at the food dish in the morning.  I don't want to keep them from eating, so I wait until they've lost interest in the mess hall.  In the afternoon, they get some football-carry time, to check out the sillies who want to walk around in the snow.  [COLOR=333333]Phtheven shivered the first time we did a walk-around, so I tucked him into my coat.  We walked around the barn, filled a feed bucket, walked to the layer house, topped off the feeder and waterer, and then walked back to the camp pen.  Phtheven was sound asleep, with his head tucked under his wing, and I felt guilty taking him out of my coat.  I slid him into his cabin as gently as I could.  He looked up, once, and then tucked his head back under his wing.  His brothers peered into the cabin and decided to let him sleep.  They shared an afternoon snack and then sat shoulder to shoulder on the roost. I forgot to take my camera out this morning, so I'll make a point of visiting them for photos and a letter-writing session after lunch.[/COLOR]

Awww, what a sweet visual! Einstein just did the same thing for me. He doesn't even like to be picked up, but as soon as I tucked him under ny arm, those eyes closed and he hunkered in.

I thought I read somewhere on BYC, depending on the breed, that either the male or females babies will grow wing feathers or tail feathers faster in the begining the the other. So you can some times tell males from femailes that way. Is there any truth to that?

Yes and no. In SOME lines there is a slow feathering gene that shows in males. But only those lines will it work in.

Well, I hope this group of Cochins I hatched have that gene...only one was slow feathering. @greenbeetle , did you check yours when they hatched?
I didn;t check the black cochin babies you got from me. Have you been able to tell yet what they are. Was just wondering on my new jubilee babies. What is weird, a couple of them have like dark stripes on their backs...does that indicate male or femail?

Back
Top Bottom