***OKIES in the BYC III ***

This is Peng and Pong (Peng was black with a white chest on hatching, and my granddaughter shortened Penguin), Pong is the bluer one. I'm pretty sure they're both boys due to the combs, but the legs are narrow, and while the saddle and hackles look pointed, they're not, that's the lacing. This is what you get from a Minorca/SFH pairing. They're much more mellow than a Minorca, and I like them so much I'm going to hold out hope until they crow; the female Minorca has a pretty big comb for a girl.

Id say with the dark splotchy orange on the 1st it's certainly a boy. The 2nd looks it too but not as obvious. But that's an awesome pairing! I hope you get some girls!

I got 2 goslings at the feed store-1 roman tufted, 1 Chinese. They are so great. I've never had a friendlier chick/duckling in the house. They just come right up and tell us all the latest brooder gossip. And believe me, there's lots. I vent sexed them and I think they're both females but that probably just means I did it wrong ;) I need to get pictures soon.

Last edited:
This is Peng and Pong (Peng was black with a white chest on hatching, and my granddaughter shortened Penguin), Pong is the bluer one. I'm pretty sure they're both boys due to the combs, but the legs are narrow, and while the saddle and hackles look pointed, they're not, that's the lacing. This is what you get from a Minorca/SFH pairing. They're much more mellow than a Minorca, and I like them so much I'm going to hold out hope until they crow; the female Minorca has a pretty big comb for a girl.

The first bird may have the SFH "flower" markings. All my Minorca hens had white chests when they were chicks. The combs are huge and flop over on the girls.
The second bird has the Minorca earlobes.
Makes me think both are pullets.
If one is a cockerel, you should be able to feel the bumps on the legs for the developing spurs.

@greenbeetle You are definitely one of the 9! That's awesome, and GOOD LUCK hatching. My fingers will be crossed for you.

The four little Cochins are getting bigger and doing great. I hatched out 2 blue, 2 black, 2 splash and 1 that I can't quite tell if it's blue or splash. I only want to end up with a small group, so once I can sex them and pair them up, I may have a few for you (if you're interested).
yes definately interested in any blue or splash you may have...thanks

I must be awfully fond of my chickens, because they all just got a huge pot of oatmeal, boiled eggs, and a couple of half-empty boxes of non-sugary breakfast cereal. Today may be a good day to clean out the freezer and cabinets.

Thanks for giving me hope, Nana! I thought the same things about the red splotches that @Ashtree did, but at the same time it's more a hen-red than a roo-red, and it's not the hashed pattern I'd expect from little boys. My instinct is saying pullet, even if logic says roo.

I must be awfully fond of my chickens...
Dear Momma,

It snowed last night but the dippy counselor won't let us go sledding. "You'll break through the ice when you get to the pond," she says. "You'll catch cold," she says.

"Come sit on the roost with me," she says.

"I'm no dope," I answer. "I saw you brush some snow off that roost before you sat down. You're just trying to trick me so that my feet will get cold. I'm going to stay right where I am: thank you very much! No! Dude! That's for drinking. She's already taken the old one with the ice fishing hole and refilled it. Camp sucks."

"Shut up, Dude . . .

. . . There's another bucket out there. I think it's got scrambled eggs in it. I can see little streamers of steam. Quit complaining, will ya? OOOooooo Yah. She's bringing in the eggs. You just keep picking the corn out of those pellets. I'm gunna have eggs first. Love ya, Mom. Maybe after breakfast we can finish our letter."

I'm not going to quote anyone but...
Geez, yes. I'm done with the cold already. I look forward to complaining about being too wet.

Instincts often trump logic.

I love the camp letters.

Now, who here has Orpingtons? Chicks or eggs. I want some funk in my flock...Crele, cuckoo, chocolate, etc. I'm about to breakdown and go Internet shopping...

Back
Top Bottom