***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Does anyone who has an NPIP certified flock have one or two baby silkies? I have one baby that hatched a little over a week ago, and no others have joined it. It is getting along well, but is all by itself and needs a buddy or two. I don't want hatchery babes, if I can find better ones. We live about equidistant from Cleveland, Sand Springs and Mannford, and I would travel as far as Stillwater or Broken Arrow.

Please let me know if you have one or two you'd be willing to sell.

Jeansrie, didn't you mention you have babies? Would you be willing to part with one or two?

Last edited:
Thanks Betsy, I knew you said you could do possibly one breeding then after that they would have less and less feathers and more naked neck.

I was crossing showgirl to showgirl, got a few silkies, mostly bowtied showgirls, and 3 "double" NN chicks ( they will always produce showgirls when crossed with silkies). I heard someone call these "strippers", I got a kick out of that!

Does anyone who has an NPIP certified flock have one or two baby silkies?  I have one baby that hatched a little over a week ago, and no others have joined it.  It is getting along well, but is all by itself and needs a buddy or two.  I don't want hatchery babes, if I can find better ones.  We live about equidistant from Cleveland, Sand Springs and Mannford, and I would travel as far as Stillwater or Broken Arrow. 

Please let me know if you have one or two you'd be willing to sell.

Jeansrie, didn't you mention you have babies?  Would you be willing to part with one or two?

Betsy I have 16 silkie and showgirl chicks, would be happy to sell you a couple! I will PM you my phone number.

I decided to try hatching some eggs. Made a Styrofoam bator, placed 12 eggs and waited. 1 EE, 5 RIR and 6 Marans. 1 week candling found 4 RIR infertile. Hatch began last night and now have one EE, 6 Marans (1 Blue) with a RIR in waiting. So happy with such a high success rate for the first time. All with a BCM roo I got from Rhonda last summer.

I decided to try hatching some eggs.  Made a Styrofoam bator, placed 12 eggs and waited.  1 EE, 5 RIR and 6 Marans.  1 week candling found 4 RIR infertile. Hatch began last night and now have one EE, 6 Marans (1 Blue) with a RIR in waiting.  So happy with such a high success rate for the first time.  All with a BCM roo I got from Rhonda last summer.

Congrats!!! Although I can't help but feel like I'm congratulating you on your first time smoking crack. ;)

I have my own babies that are a week old now, including three sweet and fluffy orpingtons, two Minorca crosses and a jumbo egger.

I was also in TSC, and I think I must have slipped and bumped my head on their concrete floor, because when I came to, I had two MORE chicks, and they're bantam, which I would NEVER buy if I were in my right mind.

Can anybody tell me what these two are? I'm assuming the curly one is a standard red frizzled Cochin. No idea what the pencilled one is. Is it a Golden Sebright?

And here's one of one of the others. I can tell already they're going to have amazing personalities! What a little cheeser.

Last edited:
I have to admit it has been quite the experience. No thermostat but a dimmer switch, checking 4-5 times daily to adjust temps. I seriously had doubts because I didn't trust my candling. I never saw veining but just a dark blob. Was able to distinguish the air sack easy enough. Now to try again and see IF I can get some Easter chicks. And the little Blue has feathered feet like Dad. Was hoping the Jubilee had successfully mated but not that I can tell unless the RIR was by him. I'll post pics later after services.

Back
Top Bottom