***OKIES in the BYC III ***

My goose has gone broody. My poor niece went looking for eggs and peed her pants when the goose hissed at her. :lau I know I shouldn't laugh.....Seriously tho, this goose is not messing around. I managed to slip some duck eggs under her but I'm wanting to add a few more. Of course I need to wait until she gets up as I'm pretty attached to all my fingers. I bet she could cover 50 silkie eggs tho! She's huge!

Last edited:
If you get your tester through the Department of Agriculture, he/she is a paid employee, and that is his job. They currently have a grant that defrays the cost of their testing, particularly since they now swab for Avian Influenza, as I understand it. If you have an individual test your birds who is not from the Dept. of Ag., you will be charged by the bird. I had independent testers at first. One was a friend, but he was not physically able to continue. I had a second tester who did well the first year, but had some family problems and failed to bring the paperwork with him the second year, but promised to complete it and send it in. He tested the birds, I paid him by the number of birds and paid the $5 for the certificate, but he NEVER filed the paperwork. Mine had been tested for several years, so I could have lost those years in succession and start all over.

You can also go through the Dept. of Ag. workshop and become a tester yourself. I think workshops are currently going on. The charge is not a lot, and you have to buy your supplies and serum from them, Then you can test your own birds, as well as others. Workshops are renewed periodically to keep your certification up to date. I was a tester for several years, be it became obvious to me that it was much easier to get the "experts" in to do it, and I couldn't do the AI swab. I've had the same tester for years, and he's been very good. A new one has now been assigned, and my wonderful tester is bringing him out next week to get us acquainted and to test my birds.

All your birds have to be tested the first year; after five years 50% are tested; after another five, 25%. At some point, only a sampling is taken.

Last edited:
If you get your tester through the Department of Agriculture, he/she is a paid employee, and that is his job. They currently have a grant that defrays the cost of their testing, particularly since they now swab for Avian Influenza, as I understand it. If you have an individual test your birds who is not from the Dept. of Ag., you will be charged by the bird. I had independent testers at first. One was a friend, but he was not physically able to continue. I had a second tester who did well the first year, but had some family problems and failed to bring the paperwork with him the second year, but promised to complete it and send it in. He tested the birds, I paid him by the number of birds and paid the $5 for the certificate, but he NEVER filed the paperwork. Mine had been tested for several years, so I could have lost those years in succession and start all over.

You can also go through the Dept. of Ag. workshop and become a tester yourself. I think workshops are currently going on. The charge is not a lot, and you have to buy your supplies and serum from them, Then you can test your own birds, as well as others. Workshops are renewed periodically to keep your certification up to date. I was a tester for several years, be it became obvious to me that it was much easier to get the "experts" in to do it, and I couldn't do the AI swab. I've had the same tester for years, and he's been very good. A new one has now been assigned, and my wonderful tester is bringing him out next week to get us acquainted and to test my birds.

All your birds have to be tested the first year; after five years 50% are tested; after another five, 25%. At some point, only a sampling is taken.
Thank Betsy, do you have the phone number to the Department of Agriculture so I can call and set up a date to come out. Thanks

Quote:
Depending on how colorful:

Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock
Partridge Plymouth Rock
a well-bread Rhodebar

One issue you might run into: the hatchery versions of these breeds will lay the number of eggs you're looking for, but they might not gain the size you're looking for. Standard bread or "show quality" lines of these breeds would likely achieve the size you're looking for, but may not lay as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom