***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Its been tons of time since I've been here. Hope that everyone's pens/chickens survive any flooding we get. Glad I am not going into Texas today or soon. I've been spending the last month or so going back and forth for sales and cow shows. There are some areas pretty bad. We are muddy and have pooling water but luckily are on the west side of the most rain. Had a white heifer calf born yesterday - her name is Billy The Cowgirl (after TS Bill). Here's a pic, a wet calf is much prettier than a wet chicken!

What a beauty!

Its been tons of time since I've been here. Hope that everyone's pens/chickens survive any flooding we get. Glad I am not going into Texas today or soon. I've been spending the last month or so going back and forth for sales and cow shows. There are some areas pretty bad. We are muddy and have pooling water but luckily are on the west side of the most rain. Had a white heifer calf born yesterday - her name is Billy The Cowgirl (after TS Bill). Here's a pic, a wet calf is much prettier than a wet chicken!

Hello bardies: Is that an Angus ~ Charlais cross? One Rancher down here has a large heard of Black Angus and a White Bull (Charlais ?). Seems to be the new trend .....

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed an increase in predators with the high water? I have lost two hens to predators since the torrential rains of the past 6 weeks. Any clue as to why and what I can do

Not sure about the rain, but this past winter and spring have been the worst for me with predators since I've been in Oklahoma (the past 5-6 years). We've shot tons of skunks, a few possoms, coons, lots of coyotes & about 4 or 5 stray dogs. We even lost a free range bird to a hawk which has never happened before. I have 2 big hawks that circle around here together now on a daily basis sizing up my free range layers :(

Rain, rain go away get out of here rain

okay its gone now stay out of here rain
smile.png

Has anyone else noticed an increase in predators with the high water? I have lost two hens to predators since the torrential rains of the past 6 weeks. Any clue as to why and what I can do

Welcome Deleplank!
Yes, the critters normally eaten by predators did not survive the wet spring...mice, voles, rats, gophers, rabbits..have all taken a hit by the rains, flooded tunnels and flood zones. Predators had to move to higher ground along with snakes, skunks, possums, raccoons, etc. We caught and exterminated 10 raccoons and two possum that were raiding our calf feeder. We also had two owls raiding our coops for dinner. Those too were dispatched. So far the coyotes here have not ventured a raid. But we have seen several within 1/8 mile from the house in the pastures.
Be vigilant. Make you coops as predator proof as possible.
In Oklahoma, it is legal to shoot an owl or hawk that is attacking your livestock. Eagles are not to be trapped or shot even if they kill your livestock. They are protected by Federal law.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Needing HELP!

So as we all know, the Avian bird flu has hit Oklahoma. What are you guys using to PREVENT the spread of this to your flock? And what is part of your treatment plan once you have found a sick bird in which you suspect has the avian bird flu?

Thanks in advance, I have lost about 10 chickens to this so far. I was blaming it on the heat, but have done more and more investigating, and have come to the conclusion that my flock is under attack by this avian bird flu.

Any help, tips, advice and so forth would be MUCH appreciated!

God Bless,
Em

Back
Top Bottom