***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Have you had the state do necropsy w/ histology? That I think would be the first step. Make certain you know what your dealing with. W/ all the rain and mud it could be anything, perfect growing and incubating conditions for all sorts of microbes.

Hi everyone! Needing HELP!

So as we all know, the Avian bird flu has hit Oklahoma. What are you guys using to PREVENT the spread of this to your flock? And what is part of your treatment plan once you have found a sick bird in which you suspect has the avian bird flu?

Thanks in advance, I have lost about 10 chickens to this so far. I was blaming it on the heat, but have done more and more investigating, and have come to the conclusion that my flock is under attack by this avian bird flu.

Any help, tips, advice and so forth would be MUCH appreciated!

God Bless,
Em

If your think you have the Avian Bird Flu in your flock, You need to immediately contact a local vet to have your poultry tested! If you actually have the Avian Bird Flu in your flock, your flock will be quarantined until the State Ag department determines how to dispose of your birds.
Prevention is taken before the flu hits your flock. Once you are contaminated, there is no cure. Birds are either buried or incinerated.
And the state has guidelines on how long you must be bird free before you get birds again.
Google Avian Bird Flu.

While we are not happy with all the rain we have gotten these past two months, we are grateful for the full ponds, lush grasses and broken drought cycle. The pictures of flooding and the loss of life is heartbreaking.
In just a few weeks, we will be complaining about the heat that is so typical of the Oklahoma summers.

In preparation for my birds, I packaged summer ice block treats made of minced pea hulls when I canned the Sugar Snap Peas.
Removing the steam ends, I processed the pea hulls in the food processer and then bagged them in quart bags with water to freeze for this summer. These will be great for cooling off some hot birds and will give nice nutrients.

And of course the peas will be treats for us....along with the pickled beets. The squash was picked today and Red Pontiac new potatoes dug Tuesday are from raised beds....fortunately they drain nicely so no plants were seriously water logged. The blackberries are doing great too. Big Jim thorn vines from Stark nursery are heavy producers. One vine has offered more than a gallong of berries so far this spring.

When I die I want to come back as one of Nanakats chickens!

Hello bardies: Is that an Angus ~ Charlais cross? One Rancher down here has a large heard of Black Angus and a White Bull (Charlais ?). Seems to be the new trend .....

No, not at all! She is a pedigreed Texas Longhorn. Her mama is a good cow...no way she would go across the tracks and mix with those no-horned boys! But you are right, a lot of folks are crossing with the Charlais. This is the whitest calf we have ever had...most of the calves that look like this have brown around their ankles, more on their ears, and brown on the tail tips. She may stay white instead of roaning like her mom.

Coral, when it gets drier I will give the up and coming boys a good once over, looking for carriers. They are young so plenty of time. I have a grown boy that just might be a carrier, I'll have to check him out at night w/ a flashlight, his is second roo so he looks pretty bedraggled, Shakespear rarely lets him forget "his place"

Hi everyone! Needing HELP!

So as we all know, the Avian bird flu has hit Oklahoma. What are you guys using to PREVENT the spread of this to your flock? And what is part of your treatment plan once you have found a sick bird in which you suspect has the avian bird flu?

Thanks in advance, I have lost about 10 chickens to this so far. I was blaming it on the heat, but have done more and more investigating, and have come to the conclusion that my flock is under attack by this avian bird flu.

Any help, tips, advice and so forth would be MUCH appreciated!

God Bless,
Em

If your think you have the Avian Bird Flu in your flock, You need to immediately contact a local vet to have your poultry tested! If you actually have the Avian Bird Flu in your flock, your flock will be quarantined until the State Ag department determines how to dispose of your birds.
Prevention is taken before the flu hits your flock. Once you are contaminated, there is no cure. Birds are either buried or incinerated.
And the state has guidelines on how long you must be bird free before you get birds again.
Google Avian Bird Flu.

x2 I think you are overreacting. There have been NO confirmed cases of Avian Influenza in the state of Oklahoma yet this year. You need to contact the State Department of Agriculture to have a bird necropsied and find out exactly what is going on. I'm suspecting probably one of the mycoplasma strains. Although not GOOD news, they are not a death sentence if you don't mind running a closed flock.

I know, but there are so many of us in line to come back as chickens in their flocks.....
lau.gif

i was advised by a friend in Washington state this is the best procedure for protecting flocks- according to vets, virus is killed by oxine, lysol and bleach- so follow biosecurity, spray pens, don't let your birds free range- the virus is spread by migrating waterfowl, don't let your birds have access to ponds frequented by wild waterfowl.

closed flocks and good biosecurity is the best option for now.

there are many bird illness' that have similar symptoms, i have heard of no cases in Oklahoma, where did you hear it was in Oklahoma- so it is likely you have something else going on. Having them necropsied to discover what is going on is the best option.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom