***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I canned peaches yesterday and will can more today. Our early peach is loaded and some of the fruit has begun cracking with all the rains. All told, we had 8 inches last week! I put up 2 quarts of sliced and 6 pints of halves. I usually freeze fruit, but I haven't replaced the freezer that went out yet. I have a big pantry.
The skins and seeds along with chunks of trimmings went to the birds last evening and the seeds were picked clean....very happy birds!

A hawk swooped down yesterday afternoon and killed a young Bantam cockerel in the driveway by the barn. It only had time to eat the neck before the boys got back from checking cows. They scared it off. I'm going to sit outside and peel peaches under the shade tree today where I can keep a watch on the juveniles as they range.

My flock are all in covered pens except when the guineas are allowed to free range for the day. They don't go out of our property. I've been NPIP certified for more than 10 years and at least the last 5 the Ag Dept. testers have also swabbed for Avian Influenza, I feel confident of the health of my birds, but there is also the possibility of lesser illnesses cropping up--especially in this kind of weather.

For the last several years, I've also been much more bio secure and sell my birds only at places I take them, eliminating the dangers of others who raise poultry visiting my flock. I'm also careful when visiting others.

I agree with the others that you've likely overreacted, but if you think that's what is wrong with your birds, it is essential you notify the authorities and have them tested.

I've started stashing shotguns everywhere so I can just reach out for one. Hawks and owls used to leave when they saw me, now they just circle around. My young grandson came in the other day and said there was a hawk standing in the pen the birds were in. That pen is completely covered by a low hanging pecan tree. Guess he was looking at the menu. The water went over the dam the other night and washed some gravel but it's still there.

Little Peep, LOVE your avatar!
Thank you I like yours too! that's my favorite quote from the 9nth dr. I like your qoute "sonic screw drivers are cool" remember on one of the episodes wit Jack,he is like I have a sonic thing too and Jack kept asking what and he said screw driver Jack so confused lol

Last edited:
Thank you I like yours too! that's my favorite quote from the 9nth dr. I like your qoute "sonic screw drivers are cool" remember on one of the episodes wit Jack,he is like I have a sonic thing too and Jack kept asking what and he said screw driver Jack so confused lol

There are a couple of "Whovian" Okies on this thread, and a couple more who I think are still "in the closet" lol lol lol

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. This morning, I had another drop dead out of nowhere. Im so sad.

So, do I contact my vet and ask her to do a necropsy on the bird? I just think I am dealing with something a bit more serious than usual as usually I can do my own necropsies and get to the bottom of it. This one has me absolutely stumped. I think I will contact my vet, and ask her when she could examine my bird. I guess this evening I will bleach the entire coop, and put them on lock down for a little while. I also have a few ducks in my flock, do you think that they could be swimming in contaminated puddles and bringing it back to the coop?

Thanks again everyone!

Em

Lungs are Clear, Poop is clear. I have my own microscope and everything, literally check their poop all the time. Healthy one minute, and they drop dead the next. IF, and I say IF, I catch it early, and I mean super early, I'll find them laying on the ground, almost paralyzed (But will still be able to walk once I put them back on their feet), SOME, have had swollen faces, but not all. But all chickens that I caught early tend to show like their wings are paralyzed, and are not steady on their feet.

The one that I caught early, I gave it a shot of a rather hefty dose of Tylan 50. and it bounced back. I gave it a hefty dose out of a "well, this one is going to die anyway, lets see what happens if I up the dose quite a bit" attitude, and within 6 hours, it was back to normal. I have only had one instance like this one.

I currently have a chick, and a older hen in my bathroom floor whom are sick. Chick has been sick for two days now. Hen, almost a week. Given them electrolytes and Tylan 50, and neither are bouncing back from it. Just slowly getting worse. Wont eat, and wont drink. Cant stand upright without falling over.

Open to any and all suggestions.

I have just messaged my vet, and am waiting on her response.

Thanks.

Lungs are Clear, Poop is clear. I have my own microscope and everything, literally check their poop all the time. Healthy one minute, and they drop dead the next. IF, and I say IF, I catch it early, and I mean super early, I'll find them laying on the ground, almost paralyzed (But will still be able to walk once I put them back on their feet), SOME, have had swollen faces, but not all. But all chickens that I caught early tend to show like their wings are paralyzed, and are not steady on their feet.

The one that I caught early, I gave it a shot of a rather hefty dose of Tylan 50. and it bounced back. I gave it a hefty dose out of a "well, this one is going to die anyway, lets see what happens if I up the dose quite a bit" attitude, and within 6 hours, it was back to normal. I have only had one instance like this one.

I currently have a chick, and a older hen in my bathroom floor whom are sick. Chick has been sick for two days now. Hen, almost a week. Given them electrolytes and Tylan 50, and neither are bouncing back from it. Just slowly getting worse. Wont eat, and wont drink. Cant stand upright without falling over.

Open to any and all suggestions.

I have just messaged my vet, and am waiting on her response.

Thanks.

I forwarded you the contact info for state necropsy. I believe it is a free service.

Back
Top Bottom