***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thanks Kass, Got it.

I contacted the OSU teaching hospital, and to bring it in on the weekend is a $75 fee for and "emergency" service. However, they cant even run tests until normal business hours. SO, I figure I might as well wait until Monday to drop of the dead bird. Hoping and praying this is something far less serious than the Avian Bird flu. I have read more and more on it, and the more I read, the more I get scared!!!! However, I will be sure to let everyone know the results of the necropsy.

Thanks again for all the help!

Just finished putting some electrolytes in all 5 waterers outside as well as turning the sprinkler on so it hits the hen house to cool it off. Sadly, I have 5 broody hens right now, and not a single one are giving up anytime soon. I have a hen thats sitting on 4 duck eggs right now, and am hoping they hatch soon. I can stand the wait! I also hatched out 10 chicks from one of my other broody hens several weeks ago. This is my first successful hatch! Go me! I am thinking about getting some more buff orpington and RIR roosters and a few more females and breeding them on my own rather than paying a hatchery. Does anyone have advice as for a first time hatcher at home? Thanks! Hope everyone is staying cool and out of this horrible Oklahoma heat!

Just finished putting some electrolytes in all 5 waterers outside as well as turning the sprinkler on so it hits the hen house to cool it off. Sadly, I have 5 broody hens right now, and not a single one are giving up anytime soon. I have a hen thats sitting on 4 duck eggs right now, and am hoping they hatch soon. I can stand the wait! I also hatched out 10 chicks from one of my other broody hens several weeks ago. This is my first successful hatch! Go me! I am thinking about getting some more buff orpington and RIR roosters and a few more females and breeding them on my own rather than paying a hatchery. Does anyone have advice as for a first time hatcher at home? Thanks! Hope everyone is staying cool and out of this horrible Oklahoma heat!
on the sick chicks, what are you feeding and have you treated for cocci- as wet as its been thats a possibility- 2 t per gal of water, you may need to hand water the chicks no vitamins, electrolites or acv in the water while treating

Just finished putting some electrolytes in all 5 waterers outside as well as turning the sprinkler on so it hits the hen house to cool it off.

Being on my place with trees and having the portable coop that has helped a lot. I never heard of electrolytes for chickens. Mind telling me more? Can you really tell a difference?
I'm blown away by the amount of info here.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in predators with the high water? I have lost two hens to predators since the torrential rains of the past 6 weeks. Any clue as to why and what I can do

The increase is due to loss of natural prey that drowned or moved due to the high water. Traps both live and jaw, active hunting especially at dusk and motion detector lighting will help. Solar is available. When it no longer scares they predator it still helps in lining up your shot.
Biggest issue is they taste like chicken
1f60b.png

In preparation for my birds, I packaged summer ice block treats made of minced pea hulls  when I canned the Sugar Snap Peas.
Removing the steam ends, I processed the pea hulls in the food processer and then bagged them in quart bags with water to freeze for this summer.  These will be great for cooling off some hot birds and will give nice nutrients.

WOW!!
I never woulda even dreamed of this. Both over the top and yet awesome!

Hey Matt!
at your local Tractor Supply, they have plenty of electrolytes to chose from for your chickens. They have tablets, and then they also have powder. Whenever its hot like this outside, I always give electrolytes to my chickens, I also give them to my horses and dogs. I personally think that it helps. Especially when I have a sick chicken, I'll quickly start them on electrolytes to give them that little bit of boost they need in order to get better. Very handy to have on hand!

Hey Matt!
at your local Tractor Supply, they have plenty of electrolytes to chose from for your chickens. They have tablets, and then they also have powder. Whenever its hot like this outside, I always give electrolytes to my chickens, I also give them to my horses and dogs. I personally think that it helps. Especially when I have a sick chicken, I'll quickly start them on electrolytes to give them that little bit of boost they need in order to get better. Very handy to have on hand!

Cool! Interesting, thx. Oh no another trip to tractor supply says the briar rabbit lol

here is an electrolyte recipe if you need it

Electolytes
1 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Use full strength on severely ailing chickens, otherwise mix into their drinking water as needed, a cup per gallon of water.
Replacing the electrolytes lost during times stress could mean the difference between life and death to your chickens.

I have at least 2 pips this afternoon, hoping for a much better hatch this time around. 24 eggs made it to lock down, 2 or 3 looked iffy, but I only pull definite quiters or no goes. I have 3 wanna be moms waiting in the wings.

Back
Top Bottom