***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Today started out to be a really nice day, but a dumped dog ruined my afternoon. Leaving a dog in the country is not an act of kindness. It's an act of irresponsibility and neglect, and everyone loses. I heard a ruckus outside but ignored it because we were expecting a delivery from FedX. Sure enough, I heard the driver honk, so I bundled up and went out front to sign for the package.

The dogs were still barking after the driver disappeared down the driveway, so I put the box in the house and went to check the barn. I heard chickens screaming, so I took a shovel from the barn and ran. By the time I got to the back of the barn, the stray had already killed most of the group that was free-ranging. Shovel 1, dog 0. Emaciated, covered with ticks, the stray must have been out of his mind with hunger. I don't blame him for killing my birds. I blame the owner for leaving the dog in the country to fend for himself. It took two hours to dig a hole deep enough to bury the dog and the chickens he killed. I feel sick. My heart is sick. Mossberg is gone. His red NN hen is gone. His black NN hen is gone. My blue Ameraucanas from Mitzi are gone. I found Shasta and two barred hens further away. In total, the stray took twelve from my flock. Vesta was penned because I was expecting FedX. Ironic, isn't it? I put the guard dog away so that the delivery driver wouldn't be scared.

So sorry! I was thinking today about the 11 birds I lost to 2 of my neighbor's dogs that got loose :(
Such a waste.

Today started out to be a really nice day, but a dumped dog ruined my afternoon.  Leaving a dog in the country is not an act of kindness.  It's an act of irresponsibility and neglect, and everyone loses.  I heard a ruckus outside but ignored it because we were expecting a delivery from FedX.  Sure enough, I heard the driver honk, so I bundled up and went out front to sign for the package.  

The dogs were still barking after the driver disappeared down the driveway, so I put the box in the house and went to check the barn.  I heard chickens screaming, so I took a shovel from the barn and ran.  By the time I got to the back of the barn, the stray had already killed most of the group that was free-ranging. Shovel 1, dog 0.  Emaciated, covered with ticks, the stray must have been out of his mind with hunger.  I don't blame him for killing my birds.  I blame the owner for leaving the dog in the country to fend for himself.   It took two hours to dig a hole deep enough to bury the dog and the chickens he killed.  I feel sick.  My heart is sick.  Mossberg is gone.  His red NN hen is gone.  His black NN hen is gone.  My blue Ameraucanas from Mitzi are gone.  I found Shasta and two barred hens further away.  In total, the stray took twelve from my flock.  Vesta was penned because I was expecting FedX.  Ironic, isn't it?  I put the guard dog away so that the delivery driver wouldn't be scared.  

((((Coral)))), we are so sorry to hear of this devastating loss. I read your recounting to Roger.
Living on a cattle ranch, we know about strays dropped off by people who think country folks always need another dog. So many of those dogs are shot for chasing livestock.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.

My grand kids are here on weekends, and some of our neighbors have kids still in diapers. Desperate, starving animals are dangerous: I'm thankful that birds were the only thing lost today, and that I was home and able to deal with the stray.

Today started out to be a really nice day, but a dumped dog ruined my afternoon. Leaving a dog in the country is not an act of kindness. It's an act of irresponsibility and neglect, and everyone loses. I heard a ruckus outside but ignored it because we were expecting a delivery from FedX. Sure enough, I heard the driver honk, so I bundled up and went out front to sign for the package. The dogs were still barking after the driver disappeared down the driveway, so I put the box in the house and went to check the barn. I heard chickens screaming, so I took a shovel from the barn and ran. By the time I got to the back of the barn, the stray had already killed most of the group that was free-ranging. Shovel 1, dog 0. Emaciated, covered with ticks, the stray must have been out of his mind with hunger. I don't blame him for killing my birds. I blame the owner for leaving the dog in the country to fend for himself. It took two hours to dig a hole deep enough to bury the dog and the chickens he killed. I feel sick. My heart is sick. Mossberg is gone. His red NN hen is gone. His black NN hen is gone. My blue Ameraucanas from Mitzi are gone. I found Shasta and two barred hens further away. In total, the stray took twelve from my flock. Vesta was penned because I was expecting FedX. Ironic, isn't it? I put the guard dog away so that the delivery driver wouldn't be scared.
Sorry for your loss, I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do if I came upon that scene. It seems that we deal with a dumped dog about once a month. Sometimes I think that the neighborhood Facebook page was set up for that purpose alone.

Thank you, Kassaundra. I'm physically sick over this. Digging the hole was an outlet for my frustration. Collecting my birds tore me to pieces again. Filling the hole is a blur; literally. I shoveled the dirt but can't recall how long it took.
OH I am so sorry!! Words don't help much, but hugs and tears!

Brrrrrrrr! It is really cold outside!
Had to chase off a tagged collared grey and white pit bull that came across the highway to chase the free ranging birds today. My dogs inside went nuts barking at something outside the window. I grabbed a broom and ran screaming like a banchee down the driveway.
The dog was obviously well fed and young. I waiting until the highway traffic cleared and charged it so it ran back across the road yelling GIT and brandishing my broom....then stood my ground until the dog ran down the road back home.
Hopefully this is a one time event since we haven't seen this dog on the highway before now.
Next time, I'll grab the gun instead of the broom.

Egg production is going up...over 30 eggs from the chickens, 25 quail eggs and 8 pheasant eggs today. Should have no trouble filling the incubators when temps outside are warm enough.

Roger took a shot at a huge hawk swooping down on a young chicken today. The hawk rolled in the air and flew off.

Calving season has started. One born on Jan 12 was the first. Today, two new calves in the pasture.
We had taken the bull out of the spring calving herd In early April when cows began calving in late March. ...thought we had avoided any breeding for January calves. These three and possibly another came into estrus 3 weeks after calving....fertile myrtles!

Congrats NanaCat. Good that some things are going well. Egg production a plus early calves maybe not.

Random Question. Does any1 on here raise Zebu (mini Brahma)

Sorry Coral on your loss. There is nothing more heartbreaking than to loose a flock that you have pampered to adult hood and are so proud of to a mongrel that someone else decide not to care for.
Boy the birds are getting with it NaNa! I didn't know pheasants layed this early.
We finally got some snow,about two inches. And it warmed up out of the teens,not above freezeing but sure felt like it.Supposed to get a bigger snow friday.. We are both trying to come down with a cold. But I still managed to get out and run around in the slush like a fool! But it was great to finally be able to get out for a change. Was so surprised and glad that I din't loose any baby pigeons over the single digit spell.

I agree, eggs good, calves, not so much. BUT when it goes well, they are sooooo wonderful! Keeps me out of calf withdrawal. BUT, we don't plan on it either. Had one born right before Christmas, one a week ago, and expecting one any day now. Luckily, the one due soon is to an experienced mom. Good thing, as she is not halter broke and I can just bring her up to the house. She'll have to calve out in the wild just like her ancestors did. :)

Back
Top Bottom