***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Ok which one of you.....

gig.gif
Well, I'm gonna have to do that in the morning!
lau.gif

Nanakat. Do you have a recipe for those peppers and maybe another for tomatoes. I planted enough to can but have never done so.

Nanakat. Do you have a recipe for those peppers and maybe another for tomatoes. I planted enough to can but have never done so.
Sure do!
Jalapeno pepper Relish
Toss together:
4 lbs sliced jalepeno and rinsed to remove the loose seeds.
3 lbs sliced carrots
3 lbs quartered and sliced onion (chunks about 3/4 inch)
(I used to put cauliflower florets in too, but they have a tendency to discolor)

In sterilized pint jars put 1-2 cloves garlic and 1/2 tsp canning salt (no iodine)
For the quart jars put 2-3 cloves garlic and 1 tsp canning salt
Pack your jars tight with the pepper mix. This will give you a number on the amount of vinegar.

These will be water bathed so start your water at the same time you begin heating. heat the white vinegar ( a quart jar packed with veggies will use about 2 cups boiling vinegar and a pint about 1 cup). Heat your jar lids and rims too.

Fill the jars with vinegar to 1/2 inch from the top,wipe the rim and seal with a lid and waterbath the jalapeno relish for 10 minutes from point of reboil for the pint jars and 20 minutes for the quart jars.. Your water level should be at least an inch above the top of the jars.

Lift out and cool.
I usually wait about 2 weeks before opening a jar so they really get a pickle.

Salad Peppers (Sweet banana and green Big Jim)
2 gallon of whole peppers made 6 pints.
Wash and slice peppers in 1/8 inch slices...rinse to remove loose seeds

Sterilize jars and lid sets

In Pint jars place
one clove garlic divided
1/4 small onion
1/2 tsp canning salt (no iodine)

Pack tightly with the sliced peppers to within 3/4 inch from rim. (I mash these in the jar
Pour in the boiling vinegar to within 1/2 inch of rim, wipe rim and cover with a hot lid and rim.

For each pint jar, heat 1 cup of white vinegar ( because there are no spices in the vinegar, the excess can be cooled and poured back in the jug.)

I have several tomato recipes.
Tomatoes have enough acid in them that I don't waterbath every thing unless the tomatoes are sweeter varieties..

Tomato Juice, Slip skins and cut into chunks and barely cover with water in the pot. If the tomatoes seem sweet to the taste, you can add 1 tsp of citric acid (Fruit Fresh) for each 6 cups of chunked tomatoes in the pot. This will boost the acidity.
Cook until mushy. Run tomatoes thru a ricer or colander to remove the seeds. Bring the juice to a rolling boil (about 200 degrees). Pour into sterile jars that have canning salt added (pints 1/2 tsp: quarts 1 tsp.) Tightly cover with a sterile lid and rim and set aside to cool.

Soup Starter (my girls use this in soups, over roast in a slow cooker , in spaghetti...pureed for a quick spicy tomato drink.
Recipe almost fills my 4 gallon stewing pot and makes about 15 quarts that will be waterbathed. The recipe is easy to divide.
The flavors meld nicely and you can use frozen veggies that you put back to use later.

34 pounds of peeled cut up tomatoes
1/3 cup Jalapenos chopped fine...(seed 1/2 of them)
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups celery wiht the leaves, stringed, cut stalks thru the length and chop
In a 1/2 inch dice cut:
1 cup Pablamo peppers( or a med hot pepper)
1 cup banana peppers (sweet yellow)
6-7 cups Bell pepper
5 cups onion ( I like a yellow onion for this)
Canning salt for the jars
Heat ingredients to a foaming boil, stirring occassionally.
Heat water in the waterbath pots
In sterilized quart jars, put 1 tsp canning salt (no iodine)
Fill jars with soup starter leaving 1/2 inch head space. seal with hot lid and rim.
Place jars in water bath and time 10 minutes from point of boil. Remove and allow to cool.

Other Tomato recipes I have:
old fashioned Hot Salsa (MILs)
Chili Sauce with cinnamon

Last edited:
Ack! Waiting for the first eggs is killing me. Lol! Some of my pullets physically look ready to lay any day now, with red faces, combs, and wattles. I've been giving granite grit, eggshells, grass, keeping their water clean, etc. Still waiting for my hubs to make-ready their coop, though. He needs to put a chicken door and ramp in, and wrap the bottom with hardware cloth to keep critters out. We've been putting it off, because it's so hot and doubt they would want to spend much time in there, as it was built more with winter in mind. We'll have 3 nestboxes for 12 hens, some of which will come into lay later this fall.

With the heat, your pullets may wait for cooler weather to begin laying.

My birds all go to coop at night and often spend time inside the coop during the heat of the day. I have a fan going in the hen house that is part of the barn to keep the air moving for their comfort. The outside pens have either shade cloth or tarps to help give them shade since we have few trees around the house and barn.

That's kind of what I was thinking, about the heat. I actually had no idea until recently that hens can hold their eggs voluntarily, which made me laugh. My barred rocks are 6 weeks younger than my others, so they may all start around the same time. Our flock integration failed, and I had to separate them again. Older ones were just being too danged mean. We decided to try again in about a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom