***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hope he has a smooth recovery. @NanaKat

Thank you both.
Roger is up walking after a little discomfort thru the night. As instructed, I was able to slightly loosen his ace wrap. A lot of bruising, and swelling, but that was to be expected.
He is supposed to walk 10 minutes every hour and keep the ace wrap on for 48 hours....This man is a shower addict and is already having withdrawal pains
lau.gif

My hens are so weird.
One (Little Bit) went broody with a golf ball, so I went to a neighbor and got 6 eggs from her - two bantams, two swedish flower hens, two speckled sussex OR speckled sussex/production red eggs.

Another hen (Big Mama) went broody and stole the eggs from Little Bit. LB continued to sit the nest for a couple of days before I kept tossing her out with the others when they free ranged, and finally broke her of being broody.

One egg got jostled too much and cracked, one had a loose yolk when i candled them around 10 days, and the other one looked good until it got close to hatch day, then it started to develop a smell.

In the end, I got three babies - one of each kind of egg I was given.

They're a really strong bunch, and have already learned how good bugs taste! They're coming up on (roughly) 4 days old. I really hope the Swedish Flower chick IS a hen but when I started looking at them I noticed the bantam and flower chick had combs while the sussex didn't?

I have 4 in the brooder 2 still in the incubator and 1 peeping. Hoping I get 10 more at least. I had a little trouble with the heat but having hope for replacements to make it through.

Back
Top Bottom