***OKIES in the BYC III ***

All of my pullets are named after Bond girls. Today, one of my Orps named Honey Ryder, did a submission squat for me today. I'd been testing them about every other day for this squat to check their maturation level, but none of the others were having it. I laughed and gave her a firm petting and feather ruffling just above her tail. I thought she may be a roo judging solely from her enormous floppy red comb that she's sported for 2 months, but after her mating posture I'm now certain she's a she. Another Orp named Melina Havelock has an even bigger and floppier red comb that creeped up really fast, but I'm fairly certain she is a she as well. Those are the two I expect will lay eggs first. Since we lost the roo that they were brooder mates with, I'm entertaining the idea of getting another next spring. Full grown, of course.

Apparently the squirrel was hungry

Chewed off the edge of my scratch seed bucket
Little fellers bout to be beside some eggs on a plate now

Deer Sausage
Got up this morning and processed a batch of deer sausage then made me some farm fresh eggs n sausage for breakfast.
The skillet was ok but I smoked some and that’s where the money is.
Cooked a small shoulder roast on the smoker too.

Roger moved hay bales to the hay pen while I cleaned house, did two loads of laundry and fixed lunch.
He fixed my weed wacker so I could clean up around the beds before mowing the yard while he napped. His legs give out on him when he spends several hours in that big tractor.

Then I fed and watered the chickens while Roger picked the veggies in the garden.
Now showered and much cooler, we are watching the news before running to Prague to check on the herd and eat dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

There are several chances for rain this week...sure hope we get some.

Roger had an ablation done on his right leg for venous insufficiency this morning. The doctor said it was less efficient than he had estimated so the procedure took 30 minutes longer than scheduled. Hopefully this will improve blood flow back to the heart. He sees the doctor again next week.

Chicks are growing like weeds! Only two hens still sitting on a clutch of eggs...I'm thinking these may not hatch with all the heat we have had, but neither would break brood.

Our friend from Paden, came hunting coyotes the other night and got two! The family pack had gotten one of my birds, two from a neighbor's flock and attacked a small dog and got a young fawn.
Momma "yote" still has three pups left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom