***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I broke an egg in my pocket this morning. That was fun. That's what I get for not checking for cracks. Lol! Melina has done 4 days in the broody breaker, with no signs of backing down. I can see the cage from my back door, and I never see her sitting down in there. I've been having to take her out and put her back with the others for her safety at night, and since I board up the nest box at night, she's been sleeping on the floor. I'm not sure what else I can do besides keep doing what I'm doing. Honey came back into lay today. I hope the others will hold off on their broody period for another month or so. If they do, I may treat them to some babies. I've been looking into getting some fancy colored Orpington hatching eggs.

@Sooner Magnolia he is young and beginning to find his place in the pecking order....needs to learn quickly that he can't peck humans or the pet dog. Use anything to show him who is above him in the order. Run at him with arms spread. Chase him with the water hose, whack the ground around him and if necessary a whack on the butt....wouldn't hit his head unless you plan on butchering him.
Daughter liked the idea of holding him upside down and dunking him in the pool (something I read). Would you and CSLranch recommend being aggressive with him when he is not being a little jerk or just when he is being inappropriate? Thanks

Daughter liked the idea of holding him upside down and dunking him in the pool (something I read). Would you and CSLranch recommend being aggressive with him when he is not being a little jerk or just when he is being inappropriate? Thanks
He is in training so being assertive with him anytime you are about will be very helpful.
He should immediately move out of your path as you move about the coop and run. The stick you carry will make him and all birds to move out of the way. When he is behaving, a reward for the flock includes him.

Melina is more stubborn than me. After all I've put her through, she's still broody. Isolation in the broody cage, cold water baths, ice packs, etc. for a week. I don't have the stomach to keep doing this to her, she's covered in pinfeathers, mad, miserable, and just wants babies really bad. Yeah, I'm getting this girl a dozen hatching eggs on Sat. My husband is trading jujube tree seedlings for hatching eggs and garden seeds. And, I get to stop worrying this whole thing until the chicks hatch, or whatever happens. Can't beat that deal!

Oooh! Great question! I'd been wondering the same thing. Our girl's food is pretty expensive because we do the whole organic non-gmo thing for them. I only have 6 hens at the moment, though, so buying large quantities of grain for them wouldn't be practical. My mom in feeds her small flock fermented grains, and might be interested in local sources, too. We are both in the OKC metro.

Oooh! Great question! I'd been wondering the same thing. Our girl's food is pretty expensive because we do the whole organic non-gmo thing for them. I only have 6 hens at the moment, though, so buying large quantities of grain for them wouldn't be practical. My mom in feeds her small flock fermented grains, and might be interested in local sources, too. We are both in the OKC metro.

We also do non gmo/organic. It is expensive! Thankfully we supplement with lots of greens. (We have a hookup with the local health food stores)

Is their any hatcheries in Oklahoma or is the closest one in Missouri or the closest one to me that I know of in NE Oklahoma
There's Country Hatchery in Wewoka. There's also a small one in Stillwater, Cowboy Country Chickens but they have a very limited selection. It's more of a breedery, I guess. They specialize in Orpington, Ayam Cemani, and Marans. The one in Mo. you're talking about is Cackle Hatchery, right? Those are the only ones I'm aware of at the moment, although I haven't looked into the other surrounding states. What are you looking for breed-wise?

Is their any hatcheries in Oklahoma or is the closest one in Missouri or the closest one to me that I know of in NE Oklahoma

Cackle is the closest (large hatchery) I know of. If I was home more I'd say I have a few chicks. Depending on how far NE you are you can drive there. I've went past it several times but can't remember how far it is from Joplin.

Back
Top Bottom