***OKIES in the BYC III ***

krazykat What is the pullet you gave me, rhode island red & what? shes getting big too will have to post her pic.
I am not sure about that pullet, when I got my barred hens, they came from a place with several different roos, so she is either a barred rock mix from that flock or if from my flock she would be a RIR crossed with one of those black hens you have, she came from a hatch I set about 3 days after getting the Barreds so they would have still been fertile from the roos where I got them from.
In other words....I have no clue...lol!

and if Moe turns out to be a roo, I would think if you get him in with the other before he gets too old, they should be fine if your orp isn't normally aggressive.

Hatch day is much more exciting when you haven't hatched in 6+ months! Got 3 out so far.
Erin hope you are able to get the greenhouse repaired easily. I haven't done anything this season. I do feel like I am missing out sometimes but I know next season I will be back to enjoying the dirt.
hatch day for me is always exciting....
celebrate.gif
I have been hatching since November and I still sit on pins and needles everytime pipping starts, can't keep from watching them, and saying, "hurry up and come outta there so I can see you"
jumpy.gif

Hey how is everyone, we got much needed rain, sleet snow and more sleet!!!
wee.gif
So glad to see it!, I have a request, my cousin is in ICU on Life Support, I would ask each of you that pray to add her to your prayer list and thanks in advance!!! Donnie, remember I am interested in some of those chicks!!! what are the Arkansas Blues, may want some of them if you have enough and definitely want some of the Black Sumatras!!! Can't remember the other ones I was interested in!!! Holler when they are ready to go and we will figure something out! Have a great day all!!! Lynn

Hey how is everyone, we got much needed rain, sleet snow and more sleet!!!
wee.gif
So glad to see it!, I have a request, my cousin is in ICU on Life Support, I would ask each of you that pray to add her to your prayer list and thanks in advance!!! Donnie, remember I am interested in some of those chicks!!! what are the Arkansas Blues, may want some of them if you have enough and definitely want some of the Black Sumatras!!! Can't remember the other ones I was interested in!!! Holler when they are ready to go and we will figure something out! Have a great day all!!! Lynn
Donnie has Arkansas Blues too? or did you get our posts mixed up?

Notsuperwoman,
To answer the question about what size brooder you need. Here is what i have:
With a total hatched is 19 yesterday and today and the 35 Carl hatched for me, and the 7 hatched mid week last week, there will be 61 in the 38 x 45 inch brooder.
They will stay there until 2 weeks of age.
Then they will move into a 4.5 foot by 7 foot floor pen for two weeks.
Next they will move into the floor of the brooder room or outside depending on the weather for the next two weeks. The brooder room is a 12 x 11 foot room with wall cages for breeding and brooding babies under lights and includes the floor pen....so square footage for the play space is about 100 square feet. This area can handle several hatches.

So far the chick living arrangements are
61 in the brooder
46 and a hen In the floor pen
35 on the brood room floor..they think they are in heaven with so much room.
When the next hatch comes in two weeks..the groups move again.
Each area has a heat lamp set at different heights according to their age and ample feeders and waterers.

in the past, I've used a wash tub with a screen cover, a cattle water trough with a screen cover, a big cardboard box , a used baby play pen. You can be creative, you simply need a safe heat source and room enough for the chicks to move about safely without escaping and protection from the curious pets or predators as well as something easy to clean up after the chicks.

Last edited:
Jcatblum...glad you are feeling better and have decided to take it easy this year...building a new house, homeschooling the girls, supervising the garden and the flocks, and keeping you family in line...yes, you are taking it easy. Lol

Dinner tonight...pork roast with roasted green chilies and onions, baked potatoes, carrot/cheese/bell pepper casserole and fruit salad.

Hubby just came in and collapsed into his recliner after checking the herd. He is sawing some heavy logs so its a good thing dinner will hold.

What show did you go to?

My daughter wants to do chickens for her 4H project, which means we will need help getting back into showing.

:)
I will have some absolte top notch Rosecomb Bnatams available this fall, or OE Bantams this fall if she is wanting show seriously.

Jcatblum...glad you are feeling better and have decided to take it easy this year...building a new house, homeschooling the girls, supervising the garden and the flocks, and keeping you family in line...yes, you are taking it easy. Lol

Dinner tonight...pork roast with roasted green chilies and onions, baked potatoes, carrot/cheese/bell pepper casserole and fruit salad.

Hubby just came in and collapsed into his recliner after checking the herd. He is sawing some heavy logs so its a good thing dinner will hold.
headed to meeker for dinner @ nana's

Donnie thats a lot of chicks what will you do with them all?

Krazykat I will post more pics so you can see them hope Moe is not a roo but if he is what can I do to get my rooster to get along with him?
if you could keep him in a small pen inside your coup with the other roo (so they can see each other but not hurt each other) for a couple of weeks then when you let him out do it after all the other birds have gone to roost that might help.

Back
Top Bottom