***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hello all. Kinda chilly outside, but the sun is bright and happy!
So my sister in law raises meat rabbits and had a mom not take a litter recently. So she had to hand feed the babies. A couple died in the first days of not having mom, but 3 made it and after spending weeks hand feeding the babies she couldn't bear to butcher them. So she sold 2 and begged me to take the sweets one.

She believes it's a he and he's 4 weeks 3 days old.

Hello all. Kinda chilly outside, but the sun is bright and happy!
So my sister in law raises meat rabbits and had a mom not take a litter recently. So she had to hand feed the babies. A couple died in the first days of not having mom, but 3 made it and after spending weeks hand feeding the babies she couldn't bear to butcher them. So she sold 2 and begged me to take the sweets one.

She believes it's a he and he's 4 weeks 3 days old.
What breeds does she have??? One of my projects is to get some rabbit housing ready and start a small meat rabbit raising project (just for us not for resale or anything)

Quote: No, not a fullblood Cochin. He was a Cochin Wyandotte cross that was a Silver Blue Birchen with feather feet. He was going to cover a project pen. Poor guy weighed in at 5 pounds after being skinned and cleaned. When I butcher, I skin the birds...so much easier than plucking feathers. I was chilling him down in the fridge before going into the freezer. Hubby suggested sending the bird to his Mom to make dumplings for his brother that had surgery. Nothing wasted here.

Last edited:
Quote: No, not a fullblood Cochin. He was a Cochin Wyandotte cross that was a Silver Blue Birchen with feather feet. He was going to cover a project pen. Poor guy weighed in at 5 pounds after being skinned and cleaned. When I butcher, I skin the birds...so much easier than plucking feathers. I was chilling him down in the fridge before going into the freezer. Hubby suggested sending the bird to his Mom to make dumplings for his brother that had surgery. Nothing wasted here.

I'm so sorry. That's sad to lose them so suddenly that way.

Had a chick hatch that is not like any of the hundreds we have hatched before. It has a round black ball on its rear. It seems healthy otherwise, but rather odd & gross!

And poor Alexis was carrying a hen down to the barn & it laid an egg without a shell!!!! Wonder if it was stressed from her catching & carrying it?

Last edited:
Got the junior turkeys moved into a pen in the coop successfully. We built them a small pen in the yard too so they can be out with everyone during the day if it's nice out. Moved the baby turkeys to the pen in the garage as well. Yeah!!! No more turkey poo smell in my house.

Had visitors today to the bird yard. A mom and her little boy came over to see the birds. We gave him an egg which he was thrilled about. Also showed him our baby ducks and he was fascinated by their feet. The mom loved the turkeys and thought it was funny how friendly they all were. I love when people come by and ask questions and talk to us about the birds. It's fun to teach. I usually give everyone a feather from the turkeys but we had just cleaned up the yard when they came by so everything had been raked up and tossed in the compost bin. I guess I need to stock up some turkey feathers and have them ready for when people stop by.

Got the junior turkeys moved into a pen in the coop successfully. We built them a small pen in the yard too so they can be out with everyone during the day if it's nice out. Moved the baby turkeys to the pen in the garage as well. Yeah!!! No more turkey poo smell in my house.

Had visitors today to the bird yard. A mom and her little boy came over to see the birds. We gave him an egg which he was thrilled about. Also showed him our baby ducks and he was fascinated by their feet. The mom loved the turkeys and thought it was funny how friendly they all were. I love when people come by and ask questions and talk to us about the birds. It's fun to teach. I usually give everyone a feather from the turkeys but we had just cleaned up the yard when they came by so everything had been raked up and tossed in the compost bin. I guess I need to stock up some turkey feathers and have them ready for when people stop by.
I gave my work partner a couple of dozen eggs when my chickens first started laying (stopped b/c while he was thrilled to get them his family wouldn't eat "farm eggs") anyway his little boy took one of the eggs, we never figured out how it was different to him, but he decided it was a dragon egg, he carried it a babyed it for several days, determined he would get a dragon to hatch from it. lol

Back
Top Bottom