***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Talk to me a out hens that share a nest. Taron moved 2 broody girls into a large coop with 2 boxes of eggs. Both hens are on the same nest. Eggs should hatch in 2 days. Wondering if they will share them or if the alpha hen will take all the babies for herself.
We took the other eggs & put in the hatcher & can always offer those babies to them.

Broody hens make great mommas, but man are they full of headache & dramma!!!!!!

Today I am going to try & knock out a small batch of goat milk soap before heading to town. Figure I will go to Lowes & Home Depot & stare at the lighting selections until it is all a blur. Outlets were easy for us we agreed to place outlets every 4-6ft depending on the wall. Just struggling to pick out the recessed light & placements. Also torn on how much function a ceiling fan provides. The air guy says he doenst have a single fan in his house, but don't they help move air? Going to visit a few lighting stores in Dallas in 2 wks, maybe they can lay out my lights if I show them the floor plan??? A girl can hope right?
Last year, my silky hens shared, both the nest and the chicks. It was all one big happy family out there and was impossible to tell which chick belonged to what hen.
I never saw a squabble over the babies.

I found some really cool light fixtures at the architectural salvage. Of course, I re-wired them, but once they were cleaned up and re-vamped, I have lights that fit my style and have character, and best of all to me, history. I found one copper lantern-type light that had what looks like the ballcock from a toilet between the light and where it wires in to the ceiling. I thought it was odd, but when I started cleaning it up, I discovered that it's actually a spring that lets the light be lowered to change the bulb and then retracts back up. Too cool. I like odd things, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be without ceiling fans. They may not help with the cooling, but they do move the air and keep it from getting stale. I can definitely tell a difference when they aren't on. I have them in every room except the baths and the laundry room.

Has anyone else ever had a hen have a misfire?
roll.png
The first egg in the line up is the misfire I found in one of my hen's nest box yesterday. The second egg is a bantam egg, the third is what this particular hen normally lays and the last one is from a production red. Too bad she didn't do this the week before P.O.O.P.S.! Surely it would have won the smallest egg contest?!? It's no bigger than my thumbnail.
Now, if I crack it, will it be all yolk, no yolk, or nothing at all? I have to say that I laughed out loud when I found it!

I think we finalized light placement last night. We are putting ceiling fans in all rooms except the kitchen & dinning room. So I have 7 ceiling fans, 7 that will be pendants or chandeliers & 30 recessed lights.
I agrees Lowes has more lighting than Home Depot. I have picked 2 lights at lowes I like, for my dinning & entry way. Of course DH doesn't like the only 2 I picked out! I really hope when I go into a lighting specialty store I can find more I like. I don't want to skimp on lights, to me the finishes is what make the house.

OkieT glad to hear your girls shared their nest. Mine have at least 1 chick out. It is so funny to watch them rotate. Wish all hens could share, they actually take turns get up for extended periods & walk around & eat. Hope they continue to get along. May sneak them the entire hatch if they will take it.

Last year, my silky hens shared, both the nest and the chicks. It was all one big happy family out there and was impossible to tell which chick belonged to what hen.
I never saw a squabble over the babies.

I found some really cool light fixtures at the architectural salvage. Of course, I re-wired them, but once they were cleaned up and re-vamped, I have lights that fit my style and have character, and best of all to me, history. I found one copper lantern-type light that had what looks like the ballcock from a toilet between the light and where it wires in to the ceiling. I thought it was odd, but when I started cleaning it up, I discovered that it's actually a spring that lets the light be lowered to change the bulb and then retracts back up. Too cool. I like odd things, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be without ceiling fans. They may not help with the cooling, but they do move the air and keep it from getting stale. I can definitely tell a difference when they aren't on. I have them in every room except the baths and the laundry room.
I used to watch the show "Trading Spaces" all the time and every time the designers would take a ceiling fan out I would think, they aren't from the south. lol

Has anyone else ever had a hen have a misfire?
roll.png
The first egg in the line up is the misfire I found in one of my hen's nest box yesterday. The second egg is a bantam egg, the third is what this particular hen normally lays and the last one is from a production red. Too bad she didn't do this the week before P.O.O.P.S.! Surely it would have won the smallest egg contest?!? It's no bigger than my thumbnail.
Now, if I crack it, will it be all yolk, no yolk, or nothing at all? I have to say that I laughed out loud when I found it!

Yes it is a "misfire"- people call them wind eggs or fart eggs and they typically have little to no yolk inside. Saw some at POOPS but think you're right this one would have been even smaller! Not really useful but kind of a fun little oddity to find in the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom