***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Looking to get out of the chicken business. If anyone needs/ wants some birds in the Yukon area, let me know. Or if you know of any auctions coming up.

We lost all 4 pullets in the storms. Do you have any? I'm not far from Yukon!

I am looking for advice on transitioning my chickens together in the coop.
I have 6 sex link pullets that are 11weeks old and 8 silkie chicks that are around 7 weeks old. Around a week ago my husband sectioned off part of the coop and we moved the silkies from their brooder into the coop. One of the silkie chicks jumps out almost every time I open the coop to feed or water them and the older sex links immediately run over and start pecking at him. Is there anything I should be doing to get them used to each other? What is they best way to transition them all together? Do I need to wait until my silkies are a certain age before I can mix them in with the sex links?

Quote: heard a ruckus i the duck run last nite, one of the girls decided she wanted babies- well, our resident egg eating snake was back, so crawled under the porch tapped it with a stick, it took off, collected some of the eggs for mama duck- exact same area she lost them to the snake last year- well, i guess she decided being broody wasn't all it was cut out to be, so i put them in the bator- you know how big a snake looks at nite with a flashlight??? glad snakes don't scare me

I am looking for advice on transitioning my chickens together in the coop.
I have 6 sex link pullets that are 11weeks old and 8 silkie chicks that are around 7 weeks old. Around a week ago my husband sectioned off part of the coop and we moved the silkies from their brooder into the coop. One of the silkie chicks jumps out almost every time I open the coop to feed or water them and the older sex links immediately run over and start pecking at him. Is there anything I should be doing to get them used to each other? What is they best way to transition them all together? Do I need to wait until my silkies are a certain age before I can mix them in with the sex links?
well, i generally keep silkies seperate from others, due to the fact they can really get hurt by a peck on the head- i think regular chickens can't figure out what a silkie is

yep its a king snake
thumbsup.gif
they have been know to eat other snakes including passions snakes

Back
Top Bottom