***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Unfortunately I still have my Black Copper Maran rooster. I really don't have any doubt that he's a roo because of his size, his wattles are huge, his comb is huge, his feet are gigantic and when he gets pecked at his voice is really deep and he sounds like a goose. The only time he makes that noise is when he is being pecked at. He is so timid and scared of all my girls. Every once in a while he will stand up to the pullets but never to any of my other girls. He is almost 19 weeks and hasn't crowed. I've never had a roo so I don't really know what they act like but he doesn't seem very manly other than his looks. Should he be trying to mate? Stand up for himself? I don't know, something other than run from the girls? He grew so fast and is so big I really thought he would be crowing. I'm glad he hasn't since I can't find him a home, not even with putting him on Craigslist for free. I'll keep him until he crows, then I'll go into panic mode. He really is sweet and I'll hate to see him leave.
Caponizing him BEFORE he crows will likely keep him from crowing, and Poco has had success w/ larger boys like that and is having a caponizing event on Wed the 26th.

There is a vet here in OK that does a decrowing surgery, that softens the voice of the crow dramatically, he has pioneered the surgery to the point of making specialized tools, there is a thread about it, I think he charges somewhere in the $150 range for the procedure and he has a lot of success w/ it.

What are egg flats?
Most people will tell you that egg flats are like big squares or rectangles made of cardboard or plastic. These folks put eggs in their egg flats. They can carry more eggs in flats than they can carry in cartons. Think of an egg carton without a lid, but much bigger.

I think egg flats should be worn only on special occasions.

yuckyuck.gif

Unfortunately I still have my Black Copper Maran rooster. I really don't have any doubt that he's a roo because of his size, his wattles are huge, his comb is huge, his feet are gigantic and when he gets pecked at his voice is really deep and he sounds like a goose. The only time he makes that noise is when he is being pecked at. He is so timid and scared of all my girls. Every once in a while he will stand up to the pullets but never to any of my other girls. He is almost 19 weeks and hasn't crowed. I've never had a roo so I don't really know what they act like but he doesn't seem very manly other than his looks. Should he be trying to mate? Stand up for himself? I don't know, something other than run from the girls? He grew so fast and is so big I really thought he would be crowing. I'm glad he hasn't since I can't find him a home, not even with putting him on Craigslist for free. I'll keep him until he crows, then I'll go into panic mode. He really is sweet and I'll hate to see him leave.
Did you post a pic of him before? At 19 weeks it should be very obvious if he's a Roo just based on his coloring. My FBCM pullets have almost no color other than black except one who has some copper in her hackles. The Roo on the other hand is striking. He is 20 weeks today.
nysuvejy.jpg
this was taken at 17 weeks. Post a pic again if you can. I think we could give him a home. Where are you located?

Had our second egg today. WooHoo!!! Hopefully all will start laying soon. I just put in a nesting box. Since only five should be laying soon just went with one. have a giant eight slot box for later.

Back
Top Bottom