***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I could use some coop advice. We have 2 coops on our property already but they both are very inviting to disease so I don't want to let our 2 girls call either home. Both have dirt floors and the walls sit directly on the ground as well. They are pretty big coops, one has the corigated plastic on the roof and adequate ventilation around the top of the walls. My thoughts were to raise it up off the ground and build a floor in it but I think I would have to do some major work to keep the fumes from still rising up through the floor. So I was thinking about building another building but making it more our size. About 4'wide×6-7'long. Making it mobile so I could get them on fresh grass every few days. What kind of ventilation, heat in winter stuff like that do we need for good healthy (lower maintance) chickens in Oklahoma. These 2 are a test run with the wife if I can make these survive and thrive with little work and cost I'm going to try and weasel in a decent flock next year.

Yesterday I found my Bumpers in one of the nest boxes. She never fully recovered from her last illness, and I think all the rain was just too hard on her. I've cried all night, and I'm starting again as I type this. I don't know how I'm going to do without her. It's so hard to believe anybody could get so attached to a chicken, but she taught me that chickens have their own personalities, and are smart, feeling creatures.

RIP Bumpers. I know some day I'll see you again in a far green meadow.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Until I owned chickens I never knew how attached I'd become. You gave her a great home. She was a very lucky girl *hugs*

@ChickenChump

Would you be able to provide photo's of your potential coops? I think you'll get better advice that way :)
Welcome to the BYC Okie thread. This time of year people are super busy & don't post as much, plus the rain is making life miserable for all of us, then today is a holiday.

On that note, I'm very appreciative of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation!

I have silkie & showgirl chicks coming out of my ears if anyone is looking for some! Colors are blue and splash and some odd ones from my gray pullet; ages are 1 - 4 weeks. $5 each! Located in South Broken Arrow, I am NPIP certified.
do you have any pictures? I've got space for one more :)

Last edited:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Until I owned chickens I never knew how attached I'd become. You gave her a great home. She was a very lucky girl *hugs*

@ChickenChump

Would you be able to provide photo's of your potential coops? I think you'll get better advice that way :)
Welcome to the BYC Okie thread. This time of year people are super busy & don't post as much, plus the rain is making life miserable for all of us, then today is a holiday.

On that note, I'm very appreciative of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation![/quo

Best candidate:

@ChickenChump

On that note, I'm very appreciative of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation![/quo

Best candidate:

Negatives about this one:

Other than what you can see. Its sitting on the ground. Its probably 20' long and 8' wide. I would want to raise it up to get it off the ground, floor it, tear all those pins out and put nesting boxes in and some roosts. It has good ventilation around the top and I don't think the roof leaks but since its on the ground, if the ground is wet outside its wet inside. Water wicks up the walls. Skeleton of a mouse in there, feathers in there. There is a bottle of respitory meds in there already. Hahaha seems like it would be pretty much a total redo and I'm a lone ranger since my kids are 7 and 3.

Doesn't seem like this Okie thread is active anymore but just in case, hi, I'm new to the chicken world and have 2 chicks about 3-4 weeks old. One, Dyna, seems to be a silver sebright and the other, Itchy, is still unknown but since its so much bigger than Dyna we think its a full size breed. Hopefully I can get the pics to attach to this message.
[/IMG]

My vote is Easter egger on the brown on. Look at its legs.. are the colored? That's a good indicator but helps.

Yesterday I found my Bumpers in one of the nest boxes. She never fully recovered from her last illness, and I think all the rain was just too hard on her. I've cried all night, and I'm starting again as I type this. I don't know how I'm going to do without her. It's so hard to believe anybody could get so attached to a chicken, but she taught me that chickens have their own personalities, and are smart, feeling creatures.

RIP Bumpers. I know some day I'll see you again in a far green meadow.

So sorry for your loss. :'(

My husband usually opens the coops in the morning before he leaves for work. Well, today he noticed a hawk waiting near our coop so he left them for me to let out later. Which is not a big deal, most days. However, today was different. With all this rain my porch steps are SLICK! My foot barely touched the top step and down I went. Bounced like a bouncy ball on my butt until I hit the ground. I knew something was wrong immediately. I was in the phone with my husband talking to him about letting the birds out when it happened so he hurried home and made me go to the er. The did x-rays then a cat scan. Turns out I broke my sacrum (bone that connects the spine to the tail bone.) Still managed to get up and let the birds out though.

Back
Top Bottom