***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Ok plant experts! My bell peppers have bugs, I've had mixed responses on how to get rid of them. Does diatomaceous earth work?
Also I saw talk of trimming tomatoes. This is my first year with a garden, how big should I let them get before I trim? They are over the 3ft tomato cages now but not looking "out of control" yet

Glad to help.

Another tip that seems to be helping is Robin's suggestion of cheap vanilla air fresheners to keep flies away. I bought one Renusit "jar" at Dollar General and put it in my garage and despite having as many as 60 chicks in there at a time, I only see flies up by the door and they don't come in very far. It even smells kind of good. That sure beats a chick smell and I don't have to watch out for those hanging sticky strips getting stuck in my hair!

Ok plant experts! My bell peppers have bugs, I've had mixed responses on how to get rid of them. Does diatomaceous earth work?
Also I saw talk of trimming tomatoes. This is my first year with a garden, how big should I let them get before I trim? They are over the 3ft tomato cages now but not looking "out of control" yet

I'm no help on the bell pepper problems- sorry.

Based on time- no it's not necessary to top them until late summer. BUT if you are using the short 3 ft tomato cages- a heavy storm could blow your plants over if you let them get TOO tall. Personally I would top as they get about 5 ft tall (in a 3 ft cage). I'm only 5 ft so that's as tall as I can manage them. Here's some reading for you:
http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/2012/07/how-to-prune-tomato-plants.html

Look at these cutie bugs! Our Aussie Harper had her pups Saturday. One has already earned his name- Tank. Can you pick him out?
lau.gif

Last edited:
Ugh!!! Predator Strikes during the day!!! My adult silkies are in temporary jail since my dog attacked and killed my last flock a few months ago. This time it wasn't my dog because we were all inside. The dogs started barking and I let them out but by them it had already pulled a silkies head through the 2x4wire and broke its neck. I know 2x4 wire is too big so I had covered it with a tarp. Whatever it was got in between the tarp and the wire and the space looks about a 4 inch diameter maybe a but more but the tarp was still attached to the wire and had bricks holding it down to the ground. What predator is small, breaks necks and attacks during the day? I feel so bad that I haven't gotten my new silkie coop finished so I can move them out of the temporary coop.

Might she be a bantam? Maybe it was an older bantam chicks that got put in the LF bin by accident.
On the other hand, one of my Lavender Cochin pullets was tiny, nearly only half the size of her sisters. She layed little eggs and didn't live much more than a year. :(  She was and adorable, little sweetie.
I don't think she is a bantam, although I don't have any experience with them to speak of. I could be wrong. She did not get her feathers any earlier. Plus, her feet seem pretty big for her body. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried insecticidal soap? It usually works pretty well and is not toxic to us (I would think it wouldn't hurt chickens either). You can even spray the fruit as long as you wait a day or two to pick it.

Ugh!!! Predator Strikes during the day!!! My adult silkies are in temporary jail since my dog attacked and killed my last flock a few months ago. This time it wasn't my dog because we were all inside. The dogs started barking and I let them out but by them it had already pulled a silkies head through the 2x4wire and broke its neck. I know 2x4 wire is too big so I had covered it with a tarp. Whatever it was got in between the tarp and the wire and the space looks about a 4 inch diameter maybe a but more but the tarp was still attached to the wire and had bricks holding it down to the ground. What predator is small, breaks necks and attacks during the day? I feel so bad that I haven't gotten my new silkie coop finished so I can move them out of the temporary coop.

We found tracks and it looks like it was a raccoon. We are setting traps outside and my oldest son is getting ready to stake out the coop tonight. I sure hope he gets it. I don't want to lose another chicken

Last edited:
Fast forward to the last page in the thread. You all are still my favorite chicken people.i love the tip about cheep vanilla scented air freshener. Going to give it a try since we seem to be fly central.

I have 3 kittens since i last posted. One is a lovely mouser and i hope that she can update the new little ones as they get older.

My college graduate son is home for the summer before he begins his job in August. so nice to have muscle available.

Will be checking in more often. Wishing all a fantastic week!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom