***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have a question to ask of y'all.
I came to the conclusion, that my main flock, needed to be wormed. The entire flock of layers, in the main pen, stopped laying in late March, and since then, I have gotten exactly 2 eggs (until today) total. Last week, I concluded that the flock must have picked up a worm, somewhere. My 5 breeder pens, where the hens never mix with the main laying flock, are still laying. But, those eggs are for incubating. I've been relying solely on duck eggs, since returning from California, the first of April. It's providing enough, but, not what it should.
So, Friday, I put Ivermectin and ACV in their water, and DE in the food. Today, I got two eggs from the main laying flock, and there may be more on the floor. But, I'm not opening the coop door, or entering the coop, because I'm forcing them to drink from the waterer, treated with ACV and IM.
My question is this, is Ivermectin like Tylan, in that the eggs ought not be consumed, for a period of time, after treatment? Or, are the eggs safe to eat, right away?
Thanks.

Based on this I would say 7-10 day withdrawal. The chart here says residue is detected for 6 days after final dose. http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

Well, both eggs hatched healthy around 19 days. However, one lived for only 5 hours before the other hens or rooster plucked it from the nest and left its mangled body for me to find. :( I've got them separate now. I cried a lot but it was a learning experience before both were killed.

Hi all,
I'm a new okie to the back yard chicken scene. I just have a handful of assorted bantams I got for my boys. Any advice on them or other helpful tidbits about them is welcome. Love the shared info on the site.

Well, both eggs hatched healthy around 19 days. However, one lived for only 5 hours before the other hens or rooster plucked it from the nest and left its mangled body for me to find.
sad.png
I've got them separate now. I cried a lot but it was a learning experience before both were killed.

I'm sorry
hugs.gif
we had a first time broody kill 5 before we knew what was happening.

I'm sorry  :hugs we had a first time broody kill 5 before we knew what was happening.

Oh nooo. I'm sorry, too. Fortunately it seems like this momma wants her babies and is very protective. She gently scoots them back under her and talks to the little guy/girl constantly. I'm hoping they live.

I can't embed images anymore on my phone, so here's a link to the survivor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n01292z36gd4bar/20160601_164958.jpg?dl=0

I think this one's mom is a production red. Daddy is a speckled sussex. The other chick was part buff brahma/buff orpington, so I'm disappointed that the one I was most excited about seeing grown up just had to be killed by jerky chickens.

Sorry about your lost baby.

[@]JPhilpot[@] Bantams are great birds for children. Some are more friendly than others. The hens make good mothers and the roosters are usually good protectors. I have OEGB, Rosecomb, one Sebright, dAnvers and many Delaware Bantams.

Last edited:
Well, both eggs hatched healthy around 19 days. However, one lived for only 5 hours before the other hens or rooster plucked it from the nest and left its mangled body for me to find.
sad.png
I've got them separate now. I cried a lot but it was a learning experience before both were killed.
Awww. I'm sorry to hear about your baby.
hugs.gif

Hi all,
I'm a new okie to the back yard chicken scene. I just have a handful of assorted bantams I got for my boys. Any advice on them or other helpful tidbits about them is welcome. Love the shared info on the site.
Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry
hugs.gif
we had a first time broody kill 5 before we knew what was happening.
I'm sorry about your babies too.
hugs.gif

Memorial Day my daughter-in-law and grandson came over. He was trying to see the baby chicks so we put
him in the "chickie jail." He would stand there and try to "call" them over. LOL

Well they eventually came over to him.

But that WAS NOT what he wanted.
lau.gif

So what does he do when they go away???

Tries to call them back again. And as soon as they came back over he
would be like "nope, don't want them near me." LOL

Back
Top Bottom